Junior Buck going back on heels of hoof?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FriendlyFainterFarm, Apr 2, 2014.

1. FriendlyFainterFarm

FriendlyFainterFarm New Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Hello,

I was just up at the barn today clipping everyone's hooves when I started to work on my buck Teddy's hooves. I noticed that he wasn't standing quite right on his back hooves, and it looks almost like elf feet. It's just his back ones and his front ones look great. And sometimes he will stand straight on them for a bit and then go back to standing on his heels :thinking:
    I've trimmed them since he was a few months old, and he is now almost a year. Am I trimming them wrong? I feel really bad because I just now noticed it. :( Has anyone had a problem like this and any advice on how to fix it? It looks really painful but he acts totally fine like it's not bothering him. I don't want to trim them wrong, how do I go about it? Should I let them grow out a bit? I attached pics. The first one is all four of his feet when he was standing on his heels, the second one is a pic of his left front foot. The third is of him standing kind of straight on his back hooves, fourth is him standing on his heels, and the last one is one of his back hooves. Please give any advice you can give, I really want to correct this before he gets too old...

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sign of selenium deficiency.

3. FriendlyFainterFarm

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Oh.... I've started Manna Pro minerals on all of our goats about a month ago, is that enough for supplement or what else can I do?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  4. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
    Selenium vitamin E gel, if you can't find it locally you can get it at Jeffers pet online.

5. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse New Member

BoSe from the vet would be best.

6. FriendlyFainterFarm

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, thanks so much I would never have thought of the selenium, I've heard about it but don't know much about it :?
    Would it help him at this point?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  7. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    You need to take off more heel on his back feet. He's so long in the heel that his toes can't touch the ground. Make the heel and edges even with the sole. You have some more to take off there. A grinder is your best bet. Put the pressure right on the heel and make his foot flat. In that picture, the outside hoof is a much bigger offender. His pasterns are fine. Normal length and sturdy. You are right, his fronts look good.

8. FriendlyFainterFarm

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Okay thanks!
    Also a few more questions, shouldn't it occur more often then just in him? Or does the deficiency affect them in different ways? We did actually have a buck a while ago that had sort of a problem like this but not as bad. I just thought it was the way I was trimming...also what else can it cause? Any input is much appreciated :)

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    He needs more taken off his heel. BoSe will help but more trimming done every few weeks is your best ticket.
    The last pic looks like he could use more taken off, assuming it is a fresh trim job.

10. FriendlyFainterFarm

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Okay thanks :) I will try this also, and see if it improves it in time.

11. FriendlyFainterFarm

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Alright heading up to do that now, I always was worried about going too far, but I'll try to see if it helps any.

12. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    If you trim him right, I guarantee it will improve him and likely cure him. Like Nancy said, it will take a few trimmings. Try doing him every two weeks for awhile. It's not a deficiency, he grows too much heel on his back feet. I have a couple of Boers that do it in their front feet. It is a foot problem. Your other goats don't have the same problem because they grow out even, or the toe grows out faster and the heel very little.

13. FriendlyFainterFarm

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    This makes more sense, and I went up to trim him again and took off a lot more of the heel. It improved him quite a bit and he is standing better on his back feet, not perfect but better. But like you said I think it will take a few trimmings...