Just a cough?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Okay, as you know, i just got my first nigerians. However, after driving (with their former owner) on back of a truck in a crate that didn't have much windbreak, for 3 hours, it seems they have a slight cold---- which includes coughing, (daisy had a runny nose yesterday, but gone now), a runny eye, and congestion. The horse trailer had alot of windbreak so I know it isn't from the drive home. They are alert, vocal, but I just checked them and it appeared to me that their noses were a slight bit warm.
    I kept them away from my other goats just in case.

Is this is just a cold? any homemade treatment methods? or could it be, that :( this is something worse?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I don't have a thermometor for animals as of yet . . . mine went kaput . . .I will give them some vitamin c tho . . .I hope they get better soon. :sigh:
  3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ooh, Tanya, you use Rescue Remedy too???!! Sweet! We LOVE Rescue Remedy, never, ever without it!! :D Course, my mom is a registered Bach Flower practitioner so we'd never be without it. . . . . ;) Thank goodness. :)

Yes, I would definitely take a temp first. Vitamin C is good - however, if they are running a fever I would give some Penicillin once a day. You can't overdoes Pen-G but I think the recommended amount is 1cc per 20 lbs. But it doesn't really matter I guess, you could probably do 1cc every 10 lbs. Someone correct me if that's wrong.
  4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, you should get a thermometer as soon as possible, we always have one and if we do not (for some strange reason) I take the "human thermometer" and it goes to the barn to be the "goatie thermometer". They can easily be replaced, it is a must to have one though.
  5. I use a regular human digital themom. with the plastic covers that u can throw away for my goats (they have one that can bend, I like it). Could even put suran wrap over one.

Olivia, yup sure do. If I can use something natural that will actually work I will.
    When we first moved to Oregon 13 years ago my husband did the whole computer set up for an herbal ticture company in Philomath.
    We learned a lot about herbs that year!
  6. This is very true...temps are the first step in diagnosing anything!
    Just like when we go to the doc..its is the first thing they do.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Please get a thermometer....it will help in the decision on how to treat......an illness............They have those digital thermometers now....... that only takes seconds to give you a temp.........or just use your human thermometer you may have now .........and then go buy another human thermometer for yourself and family.............. :worried:
  8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    If it isn't long acting Pen then it needs to be given twice a day. I do 1cc per 10 pounds but you can give 1 cc per 20