Just a reminder

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Mar 18, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    To be careful, especially around bucks.

Heath my angora boy, who is the sweetest natured buck/bull/ram I have ever dealt with, got a little antsy with me tonight.

I was trying to catch one of his girls - Lulu to check her and she was a little difficult and I was chasing her round a bit to catch her - well he got upset because I was upsetting his doe.

He didnt actually have a go at me but by crikey he was thinking about it.

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Yeah, any male can be ornery if you get between him and what he wants (ie, girls). BTW that goes for humans too :ROFL:

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is a good reminder, not just about bucks but all the animals in our care. Even our sweet does, Cheyenne almost got me in the hand with her horn. Sweetest girl, but didn't want to be caught. When she gets upset she rolls her head, my hand was in the way.

Glad that your buck didn't do anything.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, I have had several breeders that could not get near their bucks at all during rut because they would take you down in a minute. Then I have my guys that are so sweet. If I want to go get a girl or get them out of the girls pens, I just walk up to them and they are like EEOR, I can almost hear them say, "OK, I will go". That said, I am always aware of where they are in the pen when I go in there, it is just never a good idea to turn your back on those big boys.

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I hear ya with the "beware of the buck" syndrome. I am trying so hard to get my almost 1 year old buck tamed. When we got him in early October of 08, we were dealing with major health issues w/the M.I.L. & didn't have time to tame him immediately. Within a month of being here, he was in full rut and stunk so horribly bad, I couldn't stand to be in the buck pen for more than 5 minutes w/o feeling like I was going to retch. Then, it got so cold outside from the 2nd week in December until just the last week or so..... he wants nothing to do with me right now, but I keep trying.

And I have to be able to catch him for shearing this Saturday. Yikes.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I just simply dont put up with bucks like that. If I buy one that is like that, or heaven forbid I raise one of my own and he turns out like that, I send them to freezer camp because I dont want to send that sort of danger to someone else.

All my boys, I can go out with a lead rope and halter and catch them in the bachelor pad, and then I can lead them out to the girl's paddock. Then when its time to take him out I just go into the girls paddock and put the halter on, and walk him back to the boys.

I bought Heath from a very extensively run property - about 2000 angora goats free ranging, the hogget bucks saw people maybe once a month. He went from that to my little property where he gets hand fed and sees people basically all day every day. Now you would expect any animal to be standoffish and frightened - the doe I bought at the same time certainly was, she didnt calm down properly for about a year. But Heath, well he marched right up to the fence, looked at me with puppy dog eyes, and said 'Pat me please please please' and he is the biggest sook you could ever imagine. Weird, huh?

He's so well tempered that I have let my nephews go in the buck paddock, and lead him around. I've never had cause to worry. I guess this incident was my fault, in that I got in between Heath and the doe (incidently it was the doe I bought at the same time as him) and had my back to Heath, and he thought I was attacking his doe.

Anyway enough rambling. Weevil, :ROFL: so true

MissMM - hang in there. Last year I sheared five angoras that had basically been running feral for about six years - not been shorn for about three years - they were mad as hatters but I got it done :thumb:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I just simply dont put up with bucks like that. If I buy one that is like that, or heaven forbid I raise one of my own and he turns out like that, I send them to freezer camp because I dont want to send that sort of danger to someone else.

All my boys, I can go out with a lead rope and halter and catch them in the bachelor pad, and then I can lead them out to the girl's paddock. Then when its time to take him out I just go into the girls paddock and put the halter on, and walk him back to the boys.

I bought Heath from a very extensively run property - about 2000 angora goats free ranging, the hogget bucks saw people maybe once a month. He went from that to my little property where he gets hand fed and sees people basically all day every day. Now you would expect any animal to be standoffish and frightened - the doe I bought at the same time certainly was, she didnt calm down properly for about a year. But Heath, well he marched right up to the fence, looked at me with puppy dog eyes, and said 'Pat me please please please' and he is the biggest sook you could ever imagine. Weird, huh?

He's so well tempered that I have let my nephews go in the buck paddock, and lead him around. I've never had cause to worry. I guess this incident was my fault, in that I got in between Heath and the doe (incidently it was the doe I bought at the same time as him) and had my back to Heath, and he thought I was attacking his doe.

Anyway enough rambling. Weevil, :ROFL: so true

MissMM - hang in there. Last year I sheared five angoras that had basically been running feral for about six years - not been shorn for about three years - they were mad as hatters but I got it done :thumb:

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Raisins. . . you may have heard that music sooths the savage beast, but it is actually raisins! :wink: Oh and animal crackers work too.

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Call me strange, but I have music going in the barn 24x7. 80's Rock. If you shut it off, or change it to something else, the goaties pitch a fit. Heaven forbid someone switches it to country music...... the goats start hollaring & making the neighbors think they're being tortured.

Nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away so yeah, they hollar pretty loud.