The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you both. The surgery was a success, sort of. When the vet finished she wasn't happy with the bone ends, she thought she'd like them closer together. When she took the. Baby back to the x-ray, the baby crashed. Compressions and artificial respirations were used to supplement her own heartbeat and breathing.

They brought her back and she seemed fine by the time I picked her up. She was still pretty tired and was relatively quiet and still until I put her down to pee on some grass. She shoved her nose down and began to eat. She was pretty aggressive about it, too. And by the time I got her settled down again one end of the pin seemed like it was coming away from her skin.

I texted the veterinarian nurse with a picture, she forwarded it to the vet. We are now on our way *back* to the vet's for possibly another surgery.

How in the world did you hurt your arm? You know you can't milk a goat with that thing and feeding's gonna take a lot longer... and who's gonna do the laundry? (Laugh)

I hope you feel better soon. Thank you for your kind, encouraging words.

Lori

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you both. The surgery was a success, sort of. When the vet finished she wasn't happy with the bone ends, she thought she'd like them closer together. When she took the. Baby back to the x-ray, the baby crashed. Compressions and artificial respirations were used to supplement her own heartbeat and breathing.

They brought her back and she seemed fine by the time I picked her up. She was still pretty tired and was relatively quiet and still until I put her down to pee on some grass. She shoved her nose down and began to eat. She was pretty aggressive about it, too. And by the time I got her settled down again one end of the pin seemed like it was coming away from her skin.

I texted the veterinarian nurse with a picture, she forwarded it to the vet. We are now on our way *back* to the vet's for possibly another surgery.

How in the world did you hurt your arm? You know you can't milk a goat with that thing and feeding's gonna take a lot longer... and who's gonna do the laundry? (Liaugh)

I hope you feel better soon. Thank you for your kind, encouraging words.

Lori
Hi Lori
Thank you it has to get better fast my 9 does are all due in 3 wks & last year all kidded within 24hrs. Its wear tear on the hand & forearm fr picking up bales of hay & always using a pitch fork to pick things.
Hand reconstructed replacing the tendons taken fr the forearm.
Now how is your girl i hope all went well on your return to surgery. What stage are you at with her at the moment. I hope i hope i hope its all good i have eveything crossed for you <3<3<3
Regards Jacki :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Lori
Thank you it has to get better fast my 9 does are all due in 3 wks & last year all kidded within 24hrs. Its wear tear on the hand & forearm fr picking up bales of hay & always using a pitch fork to pick things.
Hand reconstructed replacing the tendons taken fr the forearm.
Now how is your girl i hope all went well on your return to surgery. What stage are you at with her at the moment. I hope i hope i hope its all good i have eveything crossed for you <3<3<3
Regards Jacki :)
OMG! Dang!

DANG! I hope your new is "better, stronger, faster" (sorry, a testament to my age).

Okay, latest news on Toozie: pins are out, leg still broken, re-pinning is not an option. She still has good perfusion, and the nerves are intact, i so want to save the leg; however, we may have to amputate.

One of my girlfriends wanted me to put her down, but she's an otherwise healthy animal and it's not a life threatening issue (unlike a broken leg in a larger animal - and even then i'm not so sure...). I won't breed her, the bucks are locked away from the rest of the herd so there shouldn't be any accidents.

The vet will be back on Tuesday, the stitches won't come out (from the first surgery) for a couple of weeks minus a couple of days. we are brainstorming about ways to save the leg without further compromising it. They are still soft and we've drilled 4 holes into what's left - the femur is exceptionally compromised now.

she's crated for the two weeks until the sutures come out. she's reluctant (but not unwilling) to take the bottle, but the milk has to be within 24 hours old. She's bored out of her mind and she misses her sisters and mother. But we have to keep her as still as possible.

i will forward the pictures of the new x-rays as soon as i get them on CD from the vet.

seems to me if they can rebuild your hand and make it work, they should be able to make my baby's leg better.

Hoping for happy healthy babies for you (and a working hand, you have a LOT of work ahead of you).

Again, thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

Lori

21 - 25 of 25 Posts