Just a Thought.... "National Goat Expo"

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jenparrish24, Sep 22, 2010.

1. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Ok, myself and a friend/client of mine and her husband(from California) are putting together what we think will be something really big and bring more attention to the goat world. We have been talking for the last few weeks and already getting things rounded up and talking to organizations and everything about having a World Goat Expo. We are talking to places that we think would be good to have the expo and everything and coming up with ideas and getting everything rounded up for getting it all put together.We have not talked to all of the places yet about the possible use of the facilities but it is in the works. We want a place that is Central in the US to do this and these places seem to be pretty central. The places in mind for having it are as follows for sometime in 2012:

Iowa State Fair Grounds
    Illinois State Fair Grounds
    University of Missouri
    Iowa State University
    There are other places in Iowa that it could be as well, we just don't know yet.There are some County Fair Grounds that have good rings as well, but we are looking for showing in a pavillion.

All other livestock species have an expo and a world event, so why not have a World Goat Expo?? We are very excited about this and look for any advise/concerns/information that you may have for us. We are looking to have Dairy Goat shows for all breeds including Nigerian Dwarfs, and Pygmy. All meat goat breeds as well. Rules will follow the ADGA, ABGA, IBGA, NDGA, for showings and regulations.

Would any of you be willing to bring your goats and show or atleast attend the shows and seminars/informational meetings that we hope to have. There will hopefully be meetings that deal with nutrition, hoof care, vaccines/veterinary information,etc. What kind of informational meetings would you be interested in having? There will be exibits and things as well. All feed back and ideas are welcome!! Please provide me with any and all feed back it is all welcome!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Just a Thought....

when you say world it makes it sound like it would be world wide but you cant transport goats between the countries without months of isolation. So it would only be a USA wide thing,

Its an interesting thought but not sure it could be considered World Goat Expo

3. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois

Ok so maybe not world goat expo, but atleast get a nation wide expo for goats going, you had a good point on the isolation issue. I didn't think about that.
    all other species have one, so why not goats. the lady and her husband I am working on this with have been big in the meat goat industry for years and they are well known in California. Ok, so maybe not a world Goat Expo, but It would bring alot more knowledge to the US non farmers, and farmers alike that don't raise goats or even those who do, it will be very beneficial, just like the world dairy expo, the beef expo, the sheep and hog expo that are also in Ky. I just think there needs to be something for goats, heck they have something for sheep. To have exibits dealing with goat milkers, stands, hoof care, pictures, anything that will bring the publics knowledge of goats up to where ours are, so that they don't think oh its just goats when they drive by a farm.

Ok, Independent nutrition consultants like myself, even for the company I am affiliated with don't want to work with goat rations because they don't see a need to or don't have the passion or will to. Where I am on the opposite I have been working on formulating feeds for all stages of life and lactation, nursing does on the meat goat side, dry does and bucks, and weanling to yearlings. They all need different things in there diets and they don't all need the same protein/energy/and levels of some minerals. and some need higher amounts of Sel and Vit E especially those going to kid. I have quite a few customers going to be using my new pelleted feeds and minerals for their goats. It is exciting.

i don't know i just think it would be something great for the goat industry. It is the most consumed meat in the world, and the milk is so much better for a person. More people need to know about this stuff and this will be a good educational thing to do to get the public educated. To let people know that goats are valuable and need to be recognized as such.

4. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE

I would probably be the type of person that would want to attend but wouldn't bring our goats. We aren't into showing at this point in time and I am still a little undecided when it comes to the potential health issues with travel and show facilities.

But... I have been to three different farm shows/expos and traveled as far as Missouri to attend one last year. So I would be very interested in this type of event.

In addition to what you have mentioned...
    Marketing goat products
    Breeding/Genetics
    Seminars with individuals that produce cheese

5. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois

Thank you guys so much for your help! I appreciate any and all advise, information, and anything you would like to know about, talk about, anything, just keep any and all ideas coming. We appreciate everything!

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I think its a great idea and promoting the goat industry (milk, meat, fiber) and showing how big of a community we are would totallly get the attention of the universities and vets. I think it would be good to even have seminars for vets --- maybe get some vets who know and who teach goat medicine would be a big asset to individuals and vets.

Getting the word out to places that do testing for goats. get a vet/pathologist to do seminars on the control and management of CAE, CL, Johnes and other diseases and the testing provided.

Have places for these individuals to have booths and information areas -- like BioTracking who do blood testing for CAE, and Pregnancy.

Teaching on the FAMACHA method - workshops on how to do your own fecals and other parasite management and treatment.

Just some things that come to mind.

Yes I would go -- I may bring my goats depending on the timing of it -- the AGS nation show maybe in NJ in 2012 so I will be a part of that and attending with my goats.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I just read this on the other site from you. I like the idea depending on the time of year and the location. I would LOVE it.

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

We have something like that here in Michigan...on a much smaller scale, of course. It's called MDGS "Spring Goat Day" and it is held at Michigan State University. It does focus mainly on dairy goats but information is presented that could be useful to anyone raising goats. They have seminars on many subjects and guest speakers from the goat industry (vets, dairy owners/operators, etc.). There are also vendors and competitions for goat products (cheese, soap, crafts). You might be able to get some ideas from their site:

http://anrweek.canr.msu.edu/ProgramSchedule/SpringGoatDay/tabid/112/Default.aspx

9. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois

Thank you for the information. I will go to this site and get some information from it, thank you so much.

With what we are doing we are wanting all breeds of dairy and meat goats to be present and everything.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

you keep saying dairy and meat -- dont forget fiber

11. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois

Yes Fiber goats too, sorry I just forgot to say it. Fiber goats are welcome too.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

AWWW thanks. We love to be included when ever possible.

13. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009

Lori, it's just that we all think of fiber goats as being in a class by themselves - so classy!! :love:

14. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois

Sorry I didnt mean to leave out any breeds of goats. I just have so much on my mind about things. Fiber goats are goats that i am not as familiar with and I am sorry that i forgot to metion them. I want all breeds of goats no matter what their purpose is, meat, dairy, fiber, etc. I Love goats and all goats are welcome. I just really need toget more familiar with the fiber goats!

15. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois

Ok everyone, I need input... I have updated information on the National Goat Expo for 2012! The National Goat Expo will be held at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines, Iowa. I think that this is a very central and great place to have it, we will be showing in a heated/AC pavilion and there will be plenty of space and everything.

I need everyones input on this and we will go with the Majority vote on the dates for this event.

May 13-18,2012
    october 16-21, 2012

Let me know what set of dates works best for you!!

Also, please let me know if you think you will be showing or just attending and how many goats you think you might bring. I am trying to get a count on pens that we will need, I know it is a long ways away, but I am just wanting to get a rough count on things. I am working hard to get everything in line and done that way I can start setting up speakers for evening seminars and meetins/talks about different issues and everything. I appreciate it greatly and hope to hear from all of you!!

Everything is going together very smoothly and I think this will be an awesome event!!

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Yes I would go - may not bring goats since Iowa is so far from NJ but I like the October dates best. Kidding usually is hppening in May plus the beginning of my shows her in NJ I wouldn't want to miss

17. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE

I would agree with the October dates.

Not sure if we would be able to attend but if we did we wouldn't be showing.

18. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois

Ok, so I need more input on the dates that everyone would be available or woud be wanting to come to to the National Goat Expo! If anyone wants to speak to me about it please dont hesitate to email me. I would be interested in knowing what everyone has to say about it.

What do you think about the dates? Will you be showing or wanting to show? What kind of meetings, seminars, informational meetings, topics and such would you want to see at the show? What do think about all of his etc? I would appreciate any and all input that anyone is willing to give me!! Keep all the info coming it has been helping me decide on things.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Just a Thought.... "Goat Expo"

Jen I updated the subject of this so it could be more direct on what it was about :)

20. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Re: Just a Thought.... " National Goat Expo 2012"

Thank you I was going to do that How about we add "National to that to be more direct yet, if that's ok. Thank you so much Stacey! I appreciate it greatly!!