The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh My goodness.... Blondie must have had her kids while we were away at church... Now I can't rmember a darn thing I am supposed to do... I have both colostum oral gel and first arrival paste for lambs and kids... which do you think I should give them?

·
14,734 Posts
Aww Congrats! I agree make sure they are dry, and warm and nursing :) Some people I know recommend BoSe injections in selenium def areas within the first 12 hours of birth <We live in KY couldn't get BoSe but no issues so far...>. Of course once mama gets some bonding time in you gotta sit down with them and give them some of your own bonding love too hehe!!! :)
Can't wait for pics!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:kidblue: :kidblue:
Luckily we had shown Blondie where to kid... she didn't show all the signs yesterday... just hanging low... no moaning or usual signs but apparently a healthy delivery... We have Humphrey and Bogart... thanks for the well wishes...

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The kids have received their first new kid juice... is there more I sould be doing for the doe? I know I need to get the cast. rings on the kids in the next day or so... but is there some sort of shot I am suppose to give the mother? thanks...

·
Registered
640 Posts
When it's this cold, I offer my new moms some warm water w/ a little molasses (or dark karo) to prevent her feeling the cold too much. Depending on what you're feeding schedule is, you may want to give her a little grain or extra treat. Whether using chemical or herbal, you'll want to worm her so the worms don't overwhelm her.

Otherwise, enjoy your beautiful blessings...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks... So I just need to give momma an oral dose of Ivermectin... and give the kids a cd/t just before I put the bands on for castration and they should all be ready to go... thanks much..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
congrats on your first beautiful babies! love the colors! i wait till the bucks are at least 6-7 weeks old before banding just to make sure they're fully developed by then. i have pygmies but i think from what i've learned here it's the same for all breeds.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oh my I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dark red solid one! LOVE him!

Definitely wait till 8 weeks to band, or as late/close as possible to that, so the urethra & system can fully develop.

Congrat's - what a good momma!

Warm molasses water, some alfalfa, and I give my momma's a little CMPK calcium paste/gel every few days after kidding to help them recuperate (sp?)...plus it helps w/milk production too. Oh I also worm the momma's the day after kidding w/a safe wormer...seems worms go berserk in the momma's once they kid!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, You guys have convinced me to wait longer before banding my little buddies.... I will give the Doe a dose of ivermection for worms today though... thanks for all the great comments....

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
jodief100 said:
They are beautiful. I second waiting to band them. Waiting until 8 weeks allows time for the urethra to grow larger, reducing the odds of UC in males.
yup I dont band till I know the boys have dropped both sides and they are growing nicely.

CD/T is given to kids at 6 weeks of age and 9 weeks of age is the booster.

I give mom molasses water after kidding and then lots of hay and her usual grain.

congrats on the healthy boys :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So if I wait until 8 weeks to band them, will the CD/T be sufficient to cover the tetanus part of the castration?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts