Just because...LOADED with pics...

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Jul 1, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am bored, been looking through some old pics, and thought I"d bore you all with sharing some...hah....

First time I took my current camera/long lens out to the track... about 6am in the dark late March 2009 --- This was 2008 champion 2yo Stardom Bound working out.
    [​IMG]

Teuflesberg - a young, not so big named stallion that I was a huge fan of on the racetrack. I love his nose :)
    [​IMG]

Stormalory <outside> won the Transylvania stakes in 4/09, his last win before breaking down in a race on Kentucky Derby weekend :( Hard to get over the loss of this guy...
    [​IMG]

Informed Decision winning in April 09. One of my VERY FAVORITES racing right now. She was Champion sprinter in 09 :)
    [​IMG]

Lawyer Ron was a wonderful racehorse who won and ran a lot of thrilling races! Sadly, he died in the spring of last year due to colic.
    [​IMG]

Mushka in the pouring rain...(My first time shooting a race in the POURING rain.)
    [​IMG]

When it rains...it tends to pour here in April...
    [​IMG]

Mr. Sidney wins the Makers Mark Mile - a big turf race at our tracks spring meet.

[​IMG]

Nicanor - younger brother to the ill fated champ, Barbaro <in case anyone knows who he is>. And my favorite jock, Julien Leparoux getting ready for a morning workout.
    [​IMG]

Nicanor has a GORGEOUS head/face
    [​IMG]

Forever Together, another FAVORITE of mine who is buddy and stablemate to Informed Decision <fourth pic I posted>.
    [​IMG]

General Quarters winning the Bluegrass Stakes last year <last prep for the Kentucky Derby>. He's got a COOL story between him and his trainer, he's getting a break right now, but should be a BIG name in the fall championships. Love this horse :)
    [​IMG]

Nothing like going to the track early in the morning during the racemeets <April & Oct>.
    [​IMG]

A nearly impossible shot taken on a dark, dreary, rainy early morning.
    [​IMG]

My first morning at the historic track, Churchill Downs, a week before the Kentucky Derby. I'd been to the track 2x before, but never like this LOL
    [​IMG]

Eventual 2009 Kentucky Derby winner, Mine That Bird
    [​IMG]

I planned this pic to turn out like this - knowing the trainer and who his horses were. Focus on the horses...and keep the trainer as background..
    [​IMG]

Rachel Alexandra - 2009 Horse of the Year and Champion 3 yo. AMAZING, not another word for her.
    [​IMG]

Rachel Alexandra and her 'humans' coming over to the saddling area for the Kentucky Oaks.
    [​IMG]

Rachel Alexandra winning the Kentucky Oaks by 20 lengths!!
    [​IMG]

Rachel and her Lillies before going into the winners circle
    [​IMG]

Ken Ramsey, a notable racehorse owner/breeder celebrates after getting a big win in a race on Kentucky Derby day! His words were 'I finally got one! I finally got one!"
    [​IMG]

The elusive, Kentucky Derby trophy
    [​IMG]

Mine That Bird wins the Kentucky Derby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if you've managed to get through all of this now... <you have as much time to kill as me LOL>

I am getting ready to work a yearling sale soon...taking these kind of pics -- these are from last July

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting...
    [​IMG]

Black Mamba gets a closer look at her sales advertisement <Nov 09>. One of my VERY FAVORITE sale moments...priceless...
    [​IMG]

In January it's not totally uncommon to see mares go through the sales ring with a foal at their side. This mare just happened to be a champion, and her newborn 14 hour colt by one of the hottest young stallions...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fav 2yo from the April 2010 sale, Wilburn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Winter in the Bluegrass.... <Central KY>
    [​IMG]

I could go on and on... I have over 5,000 pics in my photostream LOL And all those pics on my computer I haven't done anything with...! I don't put up a lot of my sale pics on flickr though, as I do some work off and on with 2 other websites, and it's too hard trying to upload to 3 sites....

I'm doing the July sale even if I don't get paid for it - something I LOVE to do. I'm hoping the one website comes through though, as if it does it'll mean more work with them in the fall!

I also found out I am going to be credentialed for the World Equestrian Games in September!!! I am soooo excited, but terrified LOL!!

I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep...just browsing, and figured I'd share some of my personal favorites..

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :shocked: I love your work, I haven't gotten through your entire flickr yet.. lol! but now i must keep going

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Beautiful.......just Beautiful......love them....tremendously..... :thumb:

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm a big fan of the grays! My late hubbies, late grandfather worked at a track in Ohio and always told me, "If a race has a gray in it...BET ON IT!" :greengrin: We always did.

My fav is the one of Black Mamba looking at the sales poster. "Does this make me look fat?" Or "Wow! The camera does add 10 pounds! But I still make it look gooood!"

Gina

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Those are absolutely amazing! I loved the ones with the dapples! Those are some of my absolute favorites!

I love watching races and Informed Decision is one of my all time favorites!

Your pictures are amazing! I'd love to see more... :greengrin:

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Great shots! So when do you want to come take some of my horse? lol

7. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

You didnt bore me a bit I love your photos.....It is really neat to look at all the horses even though I am not a huge horse fan. They are so pretty.....My favorite horse has always been a light brown horse with a dark mane and tail.

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh oh..! Mine that Bird! Rachel Alexandria! Nicanor!

*dies of envy*

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks everyone I appreciate the kind comments :)

Mrs. Lam - I am a HUGE 'grey lover.' Informed Decision, Forever Together, Eight Belles, Rockport Harbor --- all Greys and favorites :)

Well, I got some very sad news this morning. One of the local horse rescue homes lost a stallion yesterday. They are the ONLY rescue in the USA that takes in retired stallions, but also rescue other horses too - off of the racetrack. They will also let some stallions who are pensioned <no longer breeding> come, and make arrangements with their owners to pay for their keep and an added donation on top of it - this keeps the farm going and helps them to rescue more horses.
    The 'big' name horses get the fans coming, and the fans in return learn more about the 'little' horses. More donations = more growth. They have a 2nd farm in NY that is just getting started. I can remember when I got involved, they only had about 5 or 6 horses. Now, they have well over 50.... minus 1 :(

Black Tie Affair was a champion racehorse, as well as an excellent stallion. He was sent to the home last year
    1. , and has melanoma <spelling?>, which are cancerous tumors on the skin - very common in greys, and caused by the sun. He was underweight, and didn't even want to walk off the van.
      He's been getting excellent care by some of the best in KY, but sadly, he had to be euthanized yesterday from laminitis <a death sentence for a lot of horses - including the great Secretariat>.

He was such a kind horse, and they kept him going until he showed them he had enough...
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1986-2010

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow glad to see another fan of her and on here! :) I absolutely ADORE her and her stablemates! I have watched her race in person like 5-6 times! She's raced at our track at least 4 or 5 times and only lost 1x. Is 0 with 2 starts this year, but she's always there at the end trying her best.

She is running on Sunday at Arlington Park! $100,000 Chicago Handicap! I am soooo excited! I hope she does well! Her jockey has been off for 6 weeks after an injury in a nasty fall back in mid May - soooo glad she will have her regular jockey again!

Mine That Bird is making his first appearance in 2010 on July 4th as well --- in a turf race at Churchill downs! Turf? HUH? okay....
    $175,000 Firecracker Handicap. Should be interesting...considering he is a 'dirt' horse.

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Black Tie Affair was such an awesome horse. :(

Eight Belles was another one of my favorites...

I love horse races! I really want to get down to KY some year to watch them. Did you take any photos yesterday? Let me know if you did...I'd love to see more pictures!

12. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    ANY time you want to post more - go ahead. Great pictures - thanks for sharing.

:)

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much Trace!

RowdyKidz --- I don't travel much to other tracks, but eventually I will if I pick up any work to do at the other tracks. I am within an hour of at least 3-4 tracks.

Eight Belles was one of my VERY favorites. I was sooo thrilled when she spent a few weeks at our local track before the Derby. I always stopped by the barn to see her, but could never get to the track early enough to see her out as she went out about 7am, and I couldn't get there until at least 7:30am <had to get kids on the school bus first>.
    One morning - 2 weeks before the derby, I rushed up there hoping.. and guess what? There had been a water main break on the main track - shut down for about an hour. So I FINALLY saw her out on the track that morning.
    She was amazing - had that 'look of Eagles' in her eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sent her owners copies of my pictures and a card right after her death. They had a memorial service at Churchill Downs where she has a permanent memorial, I wasn't able to go :( I was at a horse sale, and wasn't able to leave in time. I later found out they had used this next picture on display in the Kentucky Derby Museum to advertise her public memorial. Out of all the pics they could have chosen, I was deeply honored that they chose mine.
    The print looked so much nicer IMO than it does on the computer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was sick for a week after she died. I just couldn't leave the house, all the negative talk on the internet about her trainer made me soooo upset. If there was a good trainer in horse racing, it was her trainer.

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Here's some more...

Stallions from the January 2010 farm open houses to see the stallions. I LOVE the open houses <Nov & Jan>. You get to see your favorites without bothering the farms with setting up a visit.
    Of course...it's VERY cold in KY in January! But I meet up with some friends and we hoof it together :)

Dunkirk - new 2010 stallion

[​IMG]

Dunkirk was freezing poor boy! And he wouldn't put his head up, he kept checking us out. We decided not to torture him with trying to get a correct pose. I love his expression.
    [​IMG]

Street Cry - one of the top stallions in the country.
    [​IMG]

Bernardini -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Street Boss - being shown to fans and potential breeders
    [​IMG]

Hard Spun -
    [​IMG]

Visionaire -
    [​IMG]

Stormello - He is such a pretty horse
    [​IMG]

Rockport Harbor - November 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quiet American -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cloudy's Knight - an AMAZING gelding who nearly won the Breeders Cup Marathon <A LONG race> a week after this pic was taken. Love this guy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forever Together - Nov 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Informed Decision - Nov 2009 - a week before winning the Breeders Cup Sprint and sealing her as the 2009 Eclipse winner for female sprinter of the year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lentenor - younger brother of Barbaro - his first race - Halloween 2009. There were so many photographers there you'd have thought he was a big famous racehorse - not a first time starter who is a sibling to a famous racehorse!
    I tried to get this pic just right & get something different from everyone else <who were standing far to my right>.
    So, I was able to get this shot with him walking in the walking ring - his trainer, and owners in the background :)
    [​IMG]

He finished 2nd that day, but had a bit of a rough trip otherwise I think he would have won.
    [​IMG]

Take Control - the son of Horse of the year, Azeri, and horse of the year/top stallion, A.P. Indy. Azeri was the horse that got me back into racing.

AND.... if you have ever seen the horse movie, Dreamer. The race at the end of the movie is from our track - and the crowd scenes were taken on the day she raced there! All those people came to see Azeri, and the film company took advantage of it! <not that anyone was complaining LOL>. I wish I was into photography at that time!

So here's her first boy :)
    2yo April 2009 I belive he was $1,900,000 in this sale. As a yearling he RNA'd <retainer not attained> for $7,700,000, they wanted $8,000,000 for him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have pics of Azeri, but for some reason don't have the more recent ones up... hmmm...

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    these horses seem unreal. wow.

16. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I really like cloudy's knight The second picture looks like he is right infront of me. I just wanna touch him.

17. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    What an incredibly soft eye Visionaire has.....stunning

18. 2horses

2horses New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hobart, IN
    Amazing pics! There is nothing quite like a Thoroughbred. Or a race horse in general. My mare is an Appendix QH (half TB), and my gelding is an Arabian, both ex-racers. I did an internship at (now closed) Horizon Farms in IL in 2001. We stood Unreal Zeal (now deceased), Classic Account, Canyon Run, Accused, and a few Standardbreds. Bred and foaled around 90 when I was there. Unreal Zeal and Classic Account were both top stallions in IL in their day. It was so much fun going to the track two years later to see "my" babies run their first races!

19. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Amazing pictures! I loved them all!!! What kind of camera do you have?