Just bred my Alpine... I have questions.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Cinder, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    We bred my Alpine doe last Friday night. She was in with the male from Friday night to Saturday about noon. The breeder said that if she didn't 'take' she'd come back into heat within 5 to 10 days. I've read that they come back into heat in the normal 18 -21 day cycle if not bred. She was a little pink yesterday but not like she was last Friday. Did I miss her coming back into heat? (She was really hard to tell when she came into heat. She never flagged her tail until about ten minutes before she actually got to the buck. She barely turned pink but it was obvious enough that I thought she was coming into heat. She never got vocal or tried to hump my other doe.)

Any help on telling if she comes back into heat would be appreciated.

This is my first time figuring out when a doe is in heat... I wish it was easier.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

you are correct. Does cycle every 18 to 21 days. However some does will do what they call a short cycle and come into heat 5 to 7 days after the last heat cycle. more then likely then are not bred when this happens. I would watch for her flagging a lot in the next few weeks. Did you witness the buck mounting her? did she stand still for him? I good way to tell if they make contact is the buck will usually do one good last thrust and slid off the doe. The doe will usually arch her back as well.
    beth

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Normally if they don't take they will come back in 17-21 days after the original heat.

Some does will have another heat cycle 5 days later, but that is not the usual.