The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Been a while.
My mare went to training for the month of August. I am really impressed with how much improvement she has made.
Sunday night I brought her to my boarding barn. Yesterday a girl made a comment suggesting she might have a wormy belly which has had me stressing a little bit.
I had a fecal done in july and dewormed her with Quest Plus. The vet said she had a heavier load of strongyles. She went to training where her worked load jumped from riding every other week during the summer to working out 6 days a week. I did notice she was a bit ribby and more lean but I wasnt too concerned? She had a full 24 hours on pasture monday night, shes normally on minimal grazing or a dry lot so it was a change.
Plant Horse Natural landscape Grass Working animal
this picture is from today. She is definitely more filled out now than she was before. I know its not the best angle to judge.
Horse Plant Nature Working animal Sky
This is from yesterday and so is this one.
Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Asphalt

Anyways enough of my rambling. What do you think of her condition? Do you think she has a wormy belly?
Help

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
It never hirts to have a fecal done to see where she is at with this. Meadowmist lab is a good one to send off to. They are so much cheaper than anything local to me and have wonderful customer service!

The stress of moving her twice, training with someone new a new routine can all cause worm blooms. So just because she was wormed in july does not mean she does not need it again now.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It's really hard to judge from those angles. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have her checked out, especially if she doesn't gain back some weight now that she's back to her old routine.

Back when I was into horses, my farrier once commented that a lot of people keep their horses too fat. He thought it was worse for a horse to be a little too fat than a little too thin. I'm sure that depends on the horse and what you're using them for. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
she went from being a "pasture pet" to full work. they will lose weight and start gaining muscle. Just putting her on full pasture when she wasnt used to it wasnt a good idea..
stress also makes them look drawn up, was her diet different other then the pasture?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts