Just curious...

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Sfgwife, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    i have a lady asking about Slick.. my year and half old mini nub buck. She asked was he proven and yes is the answer. Then she asks can he cover eight does.... heck i dunno. He got the job done with one doe last fall in a pen breed situation. So he covered her three times and it worked.... this last bit is what i told her. I also said he was stinky and in rut and interested in the ladies but he has not been let out in with ladies so i really don’t know the answer to that one.

So i gave her my honest answers and just feel like now she is not interested in him because i said i dunno if he could get the job done for that many does. It was kinda frustrating or am i being a nut? Yes he is proven, no he has no been just put out with that many ladies to breed but i do not see why he would not be able to get the job done. Shoot he was 8-9 months old and got the job done pretty quickly. I mean really what more could i say... he is a year and half old, has kids on the ground and is very bucky and interested in some ladies. Heck when the boys made their escape a few weeks ago he was leadin the party to the ladies gate and flirting like a crazy boy with the girls locked in the barn lol!

I was absolutely not gonna say oh yes i know he can do that and then one or two of her does not get bred.... cause you just KNOW it would have been MY fault that i “lied” to her. So did i do right in this situation or should/could i have said something differently? Just curious as if it were someone asking these questions of you.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. Totesmgoats

Totesmgoats Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Longview, WA
    I think you said the right thing because it was the truth, it may be she is looking for a buck that is a lot more experienced than he is, and if she can't understand why you can't make promises you don't know the answer to, then you're probably right that she would then blame you if any of her does didn't get pregnant...

So long response short: I would have done the same, you did the right thing! :goodjob:

3. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    You did the right thing, you were as honest as you could be. With livestock there are no guarantees.

Her asking you if your buck can cover 8 does is the same as you asking her if she's 100% sure all her does can get pregnant this year.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

While not giving a guarantee, maybe make it sound more positive.

With his age and good health along with proof of kids on the ground, he should be able to do it.

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    She may have also changed her mind for another reason or found a buck she likes better!

6. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    You did the right thing just by being honest.

7. You said the right thing. I have a 1.5-year-old mini buck and he's crazy rutty. He covered a doe when he was 5 months old and she kidded. But that was only one. This year he covered 4 no problem so I'd bet he could do that many. I bet yours could too, but you never know. If it was all 8 in heat at once, he might have some troubles but spread out I bet he'd be good. Seems an odd question to me for her to ask, but there are some that do mature later so maybe that is her concern. I guess if she really likes him, she'll be back.

8. Oh and mine escaped too, he was the one that busted all the boys out to go join another that was in a pen with a doe...yay for DNA testing on that doe's kids. Oy. I fully expected it to be my ND buck, nope, it was this guy.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Being honest is always the way to go. ;)

10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Lol! We use a galagher smart fence for the bucks... a tree limb fell during the day and they tool full advantage. They didnt get in the girls pen but we flirting through the fence. The girls would not get near their fence cause it has hot wire on the inside. So i put the girls in the barn then let in the boys. One of ours is a bear to catch so i was scared to chase him. In the pen i got them in a stall and got him first lol!

11. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    You did the right thing. You don't even OWN 8 does. While I would expect him to be able to cover the does no problem you don't want to guarantee anything.

12. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Hahaha newp i do not own that many.... and i enjoy it. Lol! Now pink..... she COULD most likely come here....cause you know i love me some goofy girls.... i was waitin for her to majikally poof here yesterday bein as it was my birthday and all. (rofl)(rofl)(rofl):shrug:

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Honesty is your best policy. Never over promise. Heck let her find another goatie if she want to be led by the nose

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Happy be-lated birthday. ;)

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Thanks!

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I put a Toggenburg buck (age 3) in a pen with 27 does for a month. (I will NEVER do that again. No firm due dates). He bred 20 of them over the month. All kidded fine. The other 7 may be on the sale block if they don't get bred this fall. Two are almost 2 and 2 hate bucks. No idea what the other 3's problem is! Shy?

So, your buck probably could cover all the does. But, since you have no idea, honesty is the best policy.

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  18. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sometimes buyers don't understand that nothing with goats is a guarantee. Could he do it? Probably yes. Will you have pregnancy in all 8 does? That is not a guarantee any breeder can make. Depends so much on management, condition, the does accepting the buck etc. For his age, 8 is not too much to cover.

19. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    This is what i think too! Can he most likely do it.. yep. But will i guarantee all will be bred... nope nope nope.

Moers kiko boars and Goataddict like this.
  20. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Another GOOD informed buyer will know this! Stick to it!