The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got home from picking up our buck about an hour ago. I put him in with 5 does and a wether. I don't know what I was thinking would happen but he isn't Paying the girls a bit of attention. He does however seem to be in love with my 7 year old daughter. Is this norma? How long before he would act interested in breeding the girls. Does he pay them no attention if no one is in heat?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel sorry for him he seems really nervous and only seems to like my daughter. I guess I was just expecting a raging humping machine.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If he is a mature buck he most likely can smell that none of your girls are in and won't bother them until they are. The older boys always seem to be more laid back and just kind of take it easy. Being in a new place he is also more concerned about learning his new surroundings than his new friends. I'm sure he'll get the job done. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is the first buck I have ever dealt with he is awfully stinky but he is such a sweetheart I feel like he just wants to be hugged:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wouldnt worry about him not paying any attention to the girls... in about a week he will be flirting just as much as any buck. I would actually try to keep him seperate... he will notice them faster.

·
2,203 Posts
We introduce our buck the 1st of October. Usually our girls cycle at least once by then. He shows interest in the doe that just came out of her heat typically, but once he catches on that that's his job he's at it in a heartbeat. Mature bucks are calmer, young boys are too excited to concentrate initially, all the surroundings are MINE! Lol. Once they settle down it'll only be a matter of time. Besides, the girls need to " get to know him " better.

·
8,187 Posts
I keep our bucks separate from the herd until a doe is in heat then breed them. I stand and watch the entire show, make sure there are
at least 2-3 good matings then put the buck back in his pen. I know in large herds people turn the bucks in with the does, but I like to be
present at each kidding. I've saved a number of kids and does doing this. I only breed 13 does, so I do spend a lot of time with the breeding
and kidding, but for me, it works well. And, my does don't kill the buck when they get annoyed with him!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Sounds normal. Give him time to get used to things. I'd just leave him alone for a week or so, let him adjust. He's nervous and will show interest in the does when he settles in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think one of my does has already went into heat he is chasing her around with his tongue out and his nose up her butt. Poor girl is running for her life:(

·
2,203 Posts
I think one of my does has already went into heat he is chasing her around with his tongue out and his nose up her butt. Poor girl is running for her life:(
Eh she doesn't like it now...but just you wait!

·
2,203 Posts
Does is usually take a few days or will it happen soon?
From the onset of first signs of heat, it varies from 8-14 hours till standing heat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts