The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have any good pics of her yet, my camera refuses to download, and she comes up as a dark blob on my phone, :angry: , but on Saturday I went to get hay from the feed store and ended up with a you nigi doe. She looks to be about 4 months old, I guess :scratch: , since no one knew how old she was. She is from a breeder that sometimes will "sell" a goat to the store, and they in turn will sell the goat. She was only $50. The store also sells: rabbits, emus, Guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, chicks, ducklings, pot bellied pigs, roosters, turkeys, peacocks, and pygmys. (The livestock comes from breeders or people who no longer want them, basically most of the small livestock in the area comes from there.) The doe's name is Coco Puff, I know, original isn't it? :roll: She is coco colored with a white star on her forehead. Plus, she has a good udder.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, the teats aren't deformed, etc. I checked that before I got her.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had a nigi before, are they always this LOUD!? She gets herself "lost" in a 3 acre pasture somehow, and then proceeds to make a noise that is a cross between a squirrel and a patient in a mental hospital. It's sorta like a squirrel chittering and an insane laugh. She is sorta like this one, but not quite that dark and has a star on her forehead and some slight "agouti" like white specks on her ears.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, it's either Coco or Banshee. This is my first pure bred dairy, so when it's time I'm thinking about milking her, I know about pastuarization and how to take care of the milk, it's just the "getting" the milk that I have never done. :oops: So, can someone help? :cry:

·
Registered
616 Posts
My first time milking I got a doe that would not stand still it took me an hour to milk only milk her only 1/2 way. She would kick and if I tried to milk her she would sit and it didn't help that I got her in milk, so she had to adjust to a new home and me trying to milk her. She wouldn't eat her grain so she could devout her full attention to me. Oh and did I mention I didn't have a milking stand for the first two milkings! She is much better now, though she will still sit if I don't milk her out before she finishes her grain.

Most nigierians tend to kick after the finish their grain when milking, so you may want to buy a hobble it will keep her from kicking when you milk her. Milking doesn't take that long to get the hang of, a lot of goat books have diagrams on how to milk that you can look at.

Here's a link to show you what a hobble looks like.
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/hobble.htm

Younger nigerians can be loud, my bottle baby ( shes 9 months old now) is very loud if she knows I am outside. She'll probably quiet down once she's settled in. My older nigerian can be pretty quiet till I start them on grain, which is when I breed and milk them, so they get grain pretty much year round. I found that my goats seem to find their voices when they are getting grain!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts