The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took in fecal samples for my two does, and both came back positive for 'stomach worms' and coccidia. Vet's office recommended ivomec for the worms and corid for the coccidia. I also have 3 kids (babies from both does). How should I treat/dose the kids? I am also having to vaccinate them, CD/T, should I wait on the vaccination or just do it all at once and have my goats hate me for a few days?

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
How bad are the worms? If it is a bad case, I would wait on the vaccinating. If they aren't bad, then I would go ahead and vaccinate.

What dosages were given to you for the dewormers? I would use Sulmet or DiMethox instead of Corid. They are dosed at 1cc per 5 lbs the first day and 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet's office didn't say how bad. Just to dose the ivomec at 1cc per 50# and give corid as directed for coccidia.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Are you giving the Ivomec orally or by shot? The 1cc per 50 lbs would probably be fine as a shot but you need a stronger dose if giving orally. I do 1cc per 30 lbs orally. I know the dosing is higher for Corid than what the label says too but I don't use it so don't know the dose.

I would probably wait until after worming to do the CDT shot.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
From what I've read about Corid, I wouldnt use it again, but I did use it recently with no problems. If that's all you can get it would probably be okay. I know there's a dosage on here somewhere...

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:

Dosage: Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water. A smaller batch can be made, by cutting it in half.

Then dose it at ...
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs

treat individually

With Ivomec it is 1 cc per 33lbs then 10 days later. If really bad worms, anemia, it should be inject, at dosage of what Karen mentioned

That is the dosages I use.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Thank you Pam! I was just searching the forum to find where you had posted the dosage before; I followed your dosing guidline and it worked for me! :)
Though I may be remebeing wrong, but I thought it was 12 Tbsp per 16 oz? :shrug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you giving the Ivomec orally or by shot? The 1cc per 50 lbs would probably be fine as a shot but you need a stronger dose if giving orally. I do 1cc per 30 lbs orally. I know the dosing is higher for Corid than what the label says too but I don't use it so don't know the dose.

I would probably wait until after worming to do the CDT shot.
I was planning to give the ivomec by injection rather than orally. If I can get Sulmet or Dimethox, what should the dosages be and is it oral or injection?

Also, the kids are approximately 4 months old.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
When you give corid, you should give thiamine as well as corid can cause polio through thiamine inhibition.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looks like I am stuck with corid at this point because no one around me has dimethox in less than gallon jugs, and we (hopefully) wont be able to even closely use that up before it expires, which is a huge waste of money :-(

So I will be giving corid, followed by fortified vitamin b complex after finishing the corid. How much should I be giving the adults and how much for the kids?

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts

Dosage: Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water. A smaller batch can be made, by cutting it in half.

Then dose it at ... or if it is already mixed by vets office
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs

treat individually

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Then dose it at ... or if it is already mixed by vets office
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs

treat individually
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my last post... I saw the dosing for the corid, I was wondering how much fortified vitamin b I should be giving my goats after treating them.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just treated my goats with Corid and the dose was 1cc per 30lbs.......and that's straight out of the bottle......no mixing or diluting required. I've never had a problem with the Corid but did give my girls 1-2cc's of vitamin b complex with it. I've never done that before in the past but now that I know more I did this last time. I think the issue with the Corid is "long term" treatment causing the polio issue......not your 5 day regimen. I've used it with good results and no problems at all (knock on wood) :)

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my last post... I saw the dosing for the corid, I was wondering how much fortified vitamin b I should be giving my goats after treating them.
fortified vitamin b
For young kids 1 to 3cc's. For adults 3 to 6cc's depending on size ,
issues, Ruminant issues and if you need to boost appetite as well.
You can't overdose, they will pee out, what their bodies do not need. Be aware, their urine may be more yellow looking giving it. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more question on the Corid... Do I keep giving at that level for 5 days? Or do I cut it in half for days 2 through 5? I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not confusing any medications.

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

1 - 20 of 23 Posts