Just got my ADGA membership-tattooing-please inform me....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by logansmommy7, Jan 15, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Ok-so I am still a newbie and got my ADGA membership since I bought two does who are ADGA registered. I am in the process of getting them transferred to me. What is all this tattooing business? I understand the reasoning behind it but how do you do it, etc...??

My girls are hopefully bred and will have babies in the spring. They were bred to a registered buck-so the kids would technically be registerable, right? Please advise me on all of this. We are debating getting a herd name or not-we don't know how far we are going to go with all of this. I have a dream of having lots but don't know if it will work out or not....please help! :whatgoat:

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Congrats! I just registered too! I just registered my herd name as well.

Did your packet come with your member number yet? It comes with a booklet on all that. I know I just about jumped up and down when mine came!

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would register your herdname... there's no harm in doing it even if you end up getting out of goats...(yeah like that's going to happen :slapfloor: )

I believe Fiasco Farm has the how to info on it for tattooing. The ADGA website should have the letter for the year on it somewhere (I would imagine... I'm not a member.. :chin: )

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm assuming the does were bred before purchasing? If so, then the kids from that breeding will have the previous owner's herd name, so you have a while yet to think about getting a herd name. I do believe it's only $10, so not a bad price at all.

Tattooing is something you'll have to think about. Maybe you can find someone near you to show you how or even do your kids for you? I would have liked something like that. It is VERY nerve-wracking to me, but learned and do so out of necessity (the same for disbudding). Just remember if you decide to go ahead and do it yourself, get some green ink (it shows up better, especially on dark skin). Should you get a herd name and tattoo prefix, try to keep it a simple, short one. The less letters the less pain for the goats!

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    ADGA is $15 to register you herd name now.

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks! I think we will go ahead and register-the does we got were just recently with a friend's buck so they would have our herd name when born....I need to fill out those forms and get them back in along with the transfers for my does.