Just got the greatest news.............

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Just found out some great news about Yogi
    [​IMG] <----------------------------- thats right that guy Yogi(sorry, I love to show him off :oops: :love: )

Anywho, I just found out his dad in addition to earning his CH this year appraised 91 EEE yesterday!! His granddam on his sire's side appraised 92EEEE(at 7 years old!!!!)

and

wait for it

YOGI'S DAM APPRAISED 92EEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy!!!!! :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo: :leap: :leap: :leap: :stars: :stars: :stars:

She's going to Nationals in July so I can't wait to see how she does :cool:

Just had to share :)

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok I am not a dairy goat person. What does all that mean? I am sure it is all GREAT news.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I had a post explaining what appraisal is but now I can't find it. Basically its a trait evaluation system, every trait of the goat is evaluated and given a number, at the end the numbers are I think averaged to get your final score. The letters are for General Appearance, Dairy Character, Body Capacity and Mammary. The letters mean:
    E: Excellent
    V: Very Good
    +: Good Plus
    A: Average
    F: Fair
    P: Poor

The most common scores for really nice does tends to be in the high 80's to low 90's. 90's are really common, 91 is pretty common, 92 is less common, 93 is even less common and 94, there had only been very very few does that I know of to even get that score. The higher the score the better the animal.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No wonder you are so excited Sarah! You have one heck of a buck!

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    so cool............ :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup: :wahoo:

8. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Congrats!!! :wahoo: :stars: He is beautiful!! :greengrin:

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Wow, that's aweasome!!!! Congrats!!! I am so jealous :). I wont be at nationals-but my 2 year old doe will be-Kadisha. I hope she places well although I dont expect to be the top of the class since there's probably going to be a huge group of 2 year olds.

10. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    That is woderful! It is fantastic that your goats have graded so well!

They have ways of grading dairy, the wool that angoras and cashmeres provide, but have no EPDs to grade meat goats with. Maybe some day they will come up with a proper live grading system for meat goats.

I'm guessing that this makes the progeny and breedings more valuable? Maybe folks will start knocking on the door asking you to sell them straws and kids of these great goats!

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks everybody! Yogi's one sweet dude, and his daughters are even nicer, we have 5 daughters out of him so far, I can't wait to see how they freshen.

Fred, my goats haven't been appraised yet, mine are scheduled for the 22nd of July so I really can't wait to see how they do, I did really well last year :) I don't know why they don't have a grading system for meat goats, I think it would be invaluable, I mean conformation for meat goats is just as important as it is for dairy goats imo.

This doesn't necessarily make Yogi's progeny worth more money, but it does make Yogi worth a bit more. The idea of appraisal is that you get to know if you are on the right track in your herd, what needs fixed in your herd, what is good, what traits bucks have thrown to their daughters to improve over the dams, etc. I haven't had any semen requests on Yogi yet but I have had people asking for semen from my two Oberhasli bucks, and the breeder in AZ that I just got a buck from wants 20 straws back from Snickers when he's old enough, so I may have to look into getting the boys collected :shades:

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    CONGRATS!!!! THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!!! :stars:

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is SOOOOO AWESOME!!! Congrats!!! :cool:

14. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Congratulations Sarah, that is definitely great news!!!!!

15. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    :stars: CONGRATS!!!!!!! Thats just GREAT!! :stars:

16. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    The Boer showy folks do it, so why shouldn't you. So much hoohaw is placed on genetics for Boer goats in the beauty contests, and hardly anything or anyone stresses the blood lines that can put the optimal amount of meat on the goats.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I came on this group to learn more about all the other types and breeds of goats and all the lessons so far have been well learned!
    This thread about Yogi has taught me that with milk goats it's not the beauty, (although he is a handsome billy!)but the production potential of a buck and his progeny that are of key importance!
    I hope you have a successful inspection and get to collecting, I think you may be onto something good for your operation, Thank You!

17. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    You can have a grand champion buck that looks nice-but produces junk. That is why none of us here show our bucks-but we let their offspring earn their champion legs to give the buck credit.