Just how cold is it?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Epona142, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Just to illustrate how cold it is...

[​IMG]

Yup, that's my kitchen. And yup, that's ice.

We bought this house and didn't manage to get heat installed in it (mostly due to the roof incident) so the entire house except for our room is ICE cold. You can see your breath.

We believe our pipes froze, but there's a good chance that they didn't but the water company may have had a pipe break, as a neighbor is also without water and some others do. We've shut the water off regardless.

I've set up a room for Hope and Rudy, and will be bringing them in at night and giving them a nice heat lamp. I imagine they'd be fine outside, but with Hope due to kid and the wind, I'd rather not risk it. They can't possibly hurt that room, especially since there's lots to be done anyways.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

OH MY- thats not good at all

That reminds me of here last year when we had the huge icestorm that left the entire county out of power for 2 weeks last December.
    People had frozen and bursting pipes all over the place- it was awful.....

We just had some frozen pipes in our laundry room- not good. No heat gets to that room and with the windchill that night it was about -15 *brrr*

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh help

no heat? i would die

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

:shocked: that's not good!!! Keep warm! We have heated lines to our septic system so we can melt it on bad years when it freezes up. We had them put in on 1/2 of the cabins at the Resort also. We have to keep the water slowly running in one of the cabins so it doesn't freeze up. & one of the cabins had issues this winter with pipes freezing & water flooding all over the floors.
    I have had the wood stove burning straight for weeks now! It sure saves a lot on propane/electric bills otherwise I'd be dead broke!
    This has definately been a cold winter for a majority of the country. We have a nice warm up starting tomorrow for at least a week--so hopefully it warms up soon & you guys don't have too much damage!!

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep......we had a wood burner installed just to save money on propane......it was costing us roughly $4000.00 a year to heat our big old farm house and hubby's shop with propane.......I love my wood burner! It burns 24/7! The worse part is going out and bringing in a load of wood every couple of days......and of course it does keep the floors around it a mess, but we are always warm!

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    We had planned on getting some kind of heater, I would like a wood stove or pellet stove, but may have to settle for a propane heater for the main part of the house for a while.

The little space heaters we are using in our room doubled our electric bill. :sigh:

7. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    We don't have any heat either so I know how u feel. We do have some space heaters running though. We don't have any insulation in our living room or bedroom because we had to replace our roof and ran out of money. There's no attic space between our ceiling and the roof, it's just roof (does that make sense, lol?) So open rafters, it's down right frigid here. Stay warm, hopefully this cold snap will end within the next couple of days.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    burrrrrrrrr...I got cold... just looking at the picture.... now that is cold :sigh: :hug:

9. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    You need heat!!!!!!!!! :shocked:

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh MY!!!! That looks so cold! I think my husband would kill me if he had to hear my reaction to being tht cold! LOL Our heater and air conditioning went out this summer (not fun when it's 112* outside!) We had to manage the summer with 2 swamp coolers and that was awful but our wood burning stove has been heavenly. Definitely worth the investment. I would recommend installing one if you live an area that regularly has cold freezes. That way if you have power outages... you'll always have heat. :)

11. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Poor Epona! I am so spoiled here in Calif. I guess I'd better start apppreciating itmore!

12. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We have heat in the house-but have discovered this morning that our well is frozen-Great :shrug: Good luck to you- Its COLD!!!!!

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh no! I hope you get your well thawed soon and it doesn't damage it.

It's even COLDER today!

The goats spent the night in the house, spoiled rotten brats. They're out on the pasture for now and will get brought back in when the temp starts to drop.

It's 15 degrees...an almost unheard of thing here in Texas.

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Check the electrical contacts(pressure switch) on the well. We had the well freeze when we lived in Florida. I ask DH to describe the fix and this is what he said.

A metal box with conduit coming from the pump. It should have a couple screws holding the cover on, although it may be friction fitted. Take the cover off and you should be able to see the contacts. See if there is a tiny drop of condensation between them. You can use a hair dryer to remove it, do not try to remove the droplet with your hand or a metal object as it is live. This frozen droplet keeps the pressure switch from telling the pump it needs water. It takes longer to get to the contacts than it does to fix it. Hopefully that will get your well running again.

15. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We have a light bulb that we leave on in the pump house-come to find out-Of course-it blowed- i guess that little bit of heat it gives off-helps??

16. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    17 here at night in NC ...keep one faucet running with a small stream to keep your pump and well house from freezing.

17. Yea, it will be -11 tonight here and everone has reported pipes frozen all over. I am preying none for us. I will be glad if these girls due will hold out, as they have so far, and nothing more goes wrong here. LOL :pray: :pray: :pray: