Just how loud are they?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Iceblink, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I have read that as long as you have more than one goat together, they shouldn't be too loud. Just how loud is normal for two does and a couple kids?

What sounds do they make, are there particular times or situations when they are especially noisy?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    loud? thats relative. Depends on the goats temperment. I cant give you an exact decible level ;)

mine are most noisy when they see me or if it is feeding time.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    mine get noisy also at feeding time....

One of my does at the time of weaning she yells at the top of her lungs...like she is being murdered and it is very loud......others speak in a soft voice ....it all depends on the goats temperament like stacey says..... You cannot perdict how loud they are going to be until you experience them in all situations...... Another time they let you know they are there is when you grab them to vaccinate ect..... :wink:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine are usually quiet (exept for those stinkin nubian kids and the ND doe! ack!). like they metioned above, it depends on the goat

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have two does that give little cute bleets, then there is Dixie who screams blood murder at 6:30 a.m. every morning because she wants to be milked. So it really depends. Mine are pgymy and nigerians.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Loud - :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Mine don't shut up - especially mu Alpine milker doe! If she even sees us pull in the driveway or hears us in the kitchen - she is at the fence staring at the house SCREAMING!

Now the normal ruckus is at feeding time and then they stop - but heaven forbid if I am a tad late on feeding - I have 30+ goats, 10 sheep and 2 horses screaming at me and giving me "the hoof" !!!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: :ROFL:

yep ....if I'm late feeding.....Oh boy..... they sure let me know..... :wink:

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I'd say, if you put a fire siren as a 10...motorcycle a 9.5...a dog barking might be a 7...if it barks more then 30 minutes it goes up to an 8...I would put the goats at...4-5? My Cashmere goats are around a 2...bottle baby NDG's are up there around 5. But, they stop mostly when they are fed. That's my 2 cents :shrug:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    on Di's scale: ND is a 10, Nubbins are an 8, and the boers are a 3. :) and thors little wimpy bleat is a 1.

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have an Alpine that just "hums" a little bit, while my Nubian screams bloody murder when she's hungry, or if she sees you. So breed does play a little bit, nubians a whiners. I can't stand whiners, but I only am keeping the one nubian for butter.

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    My two year old Nubian doe barely makes a peep, unless I take the baby, then she goes up to about a 3. :wink: The only time Orion makes a sound is when it's feeding time or when he's talking to the does. And my loudmouth is of course my bottle baby, she goes up to about an 8, especially if it's dark. (didn't know that goats were afraid of the dark. :roll: ) Lyric's baby is about between a 1 and 2 whenever I'm milking. My boss's boer crosses are pretty loud, I'd say a 4 or 5. Those are the only breeds I've really been around.

12. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    My pygmys not so bad till they see me walking across the yard at feeding time but even they aren't as loud as my ND's when their hungry. My lord, they could break an eardrum if you don't pay attention right this second :ROFL:

13. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Yea you are so right, Iwantgoats, I have heard Nubians and it is a low but loud sound. My Nigerians are ear piercing at times!

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With 6 ND/Pygmy does....the loudest SCREECH is from Heidi at about a 8...then her mother Tilly at a7 then theres Teddy who literally screams LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZ when it's feeding time....the other 4 does hardly ever make a sound unlessthey are in heat and then they are VERY vocal!

15. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Well, good to know, as I was considering Nigerians, but my neighbors are fairly close, and I don't want to annoy them.
    They have actually said they would like me to get more animals as they love feeling like they live in the country, but I still want to be considerate.

Besides keeping to a strict schedule, is there any way to minimize the noise? I would prefer to have a mini dairy breed, are there other ones that are known for being quiet as a breed?

And if I were to stick with ND's how do I pick out a quiet one? I suppose I'll ask the owner and play it by ear. (pun intended :wink: )

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hehehehe - go their at feeding time - then take all their quiet ones - :ROFL:

17. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Our Nubian, Full size Lamacha, Our Obs, and our mixed breed big goats are so quiet. You barley hear them walk up on you. Now our Pgymys exsplesaly the Does. If you do nto feed them on time you can hear them all the way down the road. My tasha even hears my voice she is screaming her head off and then get all the other babies to start in. Dude my fainter is very quiet and most of our fainters are. Now our new little ND guys OMG. May I have a new ear drum please?? :sigh: But you just got to love them. I am finding the smaller you get them more they seem to bust your ear drum! :drool: Or do I have a weird herd?? :shrug:

18. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Most of my Nigerians are quiet, I just have the one loud mouth. I have two close neighbors and they have never complained. Tell the breeder you are getting them from that you are concerned about the noise of a loud goat and ask which ones are louder than normal and avoid those. I think a good breeder would be more than willing to help you find the best goat for your situation.

19. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yeh, I don't want you to think that Nigerians are all a bunch of screaming idiots, I only have two that make much noise and those were bottle-fed. And they really only make noise when I'm feeding. The others are pretty quiet, unless they are in heat, and then it's not too bad. Your neighbors will love them, I'm pretty sure of that. We have a neighbor that buys carrots so she can feed the goats over the fence.

Another neighbor (across the street) has a dog they tie out, he barks non-stop until they bring him in. That is waaaay more noise then my little goats make.

I actually have stood in the neighbors yard to see if I could hear much noise from out property, the most noise (and by far the most annoying) was from the Guinea's. Hubby actually said "imagine how quiet it would be if it weren't for those **** birds". So, I sold them yesterday. :thumbup: So, even though they do make noise, it's only for short periods of time then, very quiet.

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

LOL about the guineas! we had some. Dumbest animal i have ever owned by far. They would go out by the woods and make noise, and then talk to themselves when it echoed off the trees.
    Anywhoo. It really depends on the goats, some breeds tend to be louder then others. Nubians have a fog hornish maa. A friend of mines nubians never shut up, even atfter they have been fed they keep talking. But the dairy i work at has nubians and they arnt that loud. My alpines are loud at feeding time and when hey see me, but most of the day they are quiet. Nigies havea higher pitched maa. Some can get very insistant. My neighbor has lamanchas. They have one doe who stands on top of a boulder all day screaming at the house until she is hoarse. Literly, she opens her mouth and nothing but a squeak comes out.
    beth