Just irks me. . .

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by rebelshope, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Okay I know that we are all animal lovers here so I am sure I am not alone.

This all started because my brother is looking for a dog. Just a pal to hang around with. Anyway we went to the shelter to see what what there. Lots of really cute dogs looking for a home. A shih tzu, a chihuahua, doxie, etc. All sweet and looking for a home.

Then I get home, look threw the newspaper at the classified and I am just sicked by all the mutt puppies being bred, when SO many dogs are looking for a home. And the prices. $300+ for poo cross this, a shih tzu that. Oh why do people breed mutts when there are so many nice dogs out there that need homes.

Looking for a dog? Check out this site http://www.dogsindanger.com Tons of dogs there that are in danger of being put down everyday.

Anyway. I rescued my dogs, and I know my brother will choose a nice dog to rescue too.

Vent is now over :)

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I know exactly what you mean! I work at a dog kennel and a friend of my boss' just rescued like 16 puppies to find homes for, she's spaying and neutering them ALL! From lab mixes down to chihuahua mixes. I've been desperately trying to find homes for some of them. Like there's a beagle that I want for myself but my parent's won't let me. :tears: They're just so darn CUTE! I wanna save 'em all.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is something how some people pay 3-4 hundred for a "designer dog" and there are literally thousands in shelters across the country needing TLC...and most times the cost to adopt is alot less. Some can say the same about our goats...breeding and yet so many end up in auction barns.....well, my answer to that is this, there will always be those that aren't healthy or "not right" for whatever breed, but those are our responsibility as breeders to deal with, we don't force others to "care" for our mistakes( couldn't find a better word :shrug: ) And our goats can provide something besides companionship if we choose to do so. Such a shame that those poor dogs and cats in shelters didn't have concientious people in their lives. My dogs have been rescues as well as my cats....and all are spayed/neutered....I will not ever "own" an intact cat or dog.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    "Designer"...psh...what it basically amounts to is people throwing any two dogs together to try and turn a profit...and it's working for a lot them ever since the Labradoodle made it trendy...

Very few of the breeders I've seen doing this seem to have any concern about the quality of animal they're producing...Around here there are tons of puppy mills run by the Amish and they're churning out hundreds of these mixed breed (Oops, I mean "designer")dogs...and I have seen some of the nastiest, most inbred, unhealthy puppies coming out of these mills and people are paying top dollar...all this when the local shelters are overflowing with unwanted, but otherwise healthy, pets.

Once I saw a group of Amish and a bunch of other people gathered around a van at the local Wal-Mart. I thought maybe they were selling produce or baked goods (as they often do) but when I got closer, I could see that there were puppies. They were supposed to be "puggles"...people were standing around the pen doting over them and saying how cute they were and what not...but to me it was clear as day that they were not healthy...one puppy's front legs were so deformed it could hardly walk...and they all had scruffy coats and pot bellies...but people wanted them! The asking price? $600....

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I hate seeing these intentional mix breeds, especially when it was done on purpose. Why are we turning a buck for the poor pup whose parents might be "registered" but not a dang thing cared about breed standards or the health. Like you get say a shih-tzu who has never been looked at genetically.... has an overbite, legs are to short, body to long. Now lets cross it with a poodle who is to short in the hind quarters and has a crooked leg. Neither of these dogs constitute a nice "specimin" of the breed - but lets mix them.

When I worked at the humane society in Mississippi before moving here. I worked in the spay/neuter clinic. Between me and the doctor we did 20-25 spay/neuters a day. Then we did about 12-15 THOUSAND euthanasia's per YEAR!!!!! We even raised the money to transport 400 animals to the shelters in I think NY because the spay neuter and breeding laws were SOOO tight there - there were no animals in the shelter to adopt out. Now wouldn't that be nice!!!!

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I know exactly what you mean!! I think it is the stupidest thing to breed crosses like cockapoos....I see so many of those dang things in the paper! I just hate to see that. First of all, I think we should be breeding less purebreds, less dogs in general,,,but to purposely breed a cross, that's just dumb. There are so many unwanted dogs, including tons of purebreds in shelters now and being put down daily, it's really sad.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I see nothing wrong with breeding dogs for show and for the pleasure of it. (thats what we do with our goats right?) there is a purpose in everything and I believe that dog breeding does have its purpose.

But those silly mixes get on my nerves. We have mutts and I love them better then any purebred I have ever seen. Better personalities and everyone thinks Lucky is just gorgeous! :love: But to breed that on purpose and to sell it for top dollar -------dont get me started on the puppy mills. Breaks my heart :(

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I said all my dogs have been rescues....I'm also including my Purebred AKC registered American Cocker Spaniel...my Max was "given" to me by someone who paid $400.00 for him and then abused him....he was the result of a puppy mill that has been closed down, he is 14 years old and suffers from hip dysplasia, bad knees and his "pedigree" is atrocious!! His mother was actually his "sister" and "aunt"....confusing but ya know at least if you choose to linebreed....their should be no hereditary diseases to cause that animal a life of pain( this isn't because he's old, he was diagnosed with the hip dysplasia at 7 months old when I had him neutered) Breeding for quality and not quantity should be the motto for every breeder...just my opinion :greengrin:

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree Liz - for quality not quantity.

I was given a Dogue de Bordeaux a couple years back. Was supposed to be from top lines and what not. A $4000.00 dog at 10 weeks old. The reason that I got her was because her, her brother, and another pup from the litter were brought in to have umbilical hernias fixed (ok some say those are from momma pulling on the cord or to short of a chord - but it has been shown also a genetic defect as a true umbilical hernia is where the abdominal muscles never closed when the intestines were done forming in the fetal stage outside of the body.)

Anyway - when I checked the 3 pups in for surgery, the little boy I cleared for surgery, the little girl had a grade 2 of 5 heart murmur so breeder said do not do her surgery, the third was a hermaphrodite pup with a grade 5 of 5 heart murmur - could not get worse for that pup. The last pup was humanely euthansized. When the breeder came to pick up the two remaining the male who had surgery, and the female who did not. The breeder GAVE me the female becase she did not want to waste her time finding a pet home when she wasn't worth enough money.

She was our baby. She went to work with one of us everyday - usually hubby. She was with us more then our children - Literally. At 6 months her cornea started seperating from the iris in her eye. Then at 2 years 1 month she died instantly of GVD. Her stomach bloated, rolled on itself in her abdomen and she died in hubby's arms. All of this was genetically related. I tried to contact the breeder, NEVER would she return messages, emails, or written letters.

After talking to other Bordeaux breeders - she had huge issues with all of these things in her lines - yet still kept breeding for the almighty dollar.

R.I.P. my dear Chia - mommy and daddy have never forgotten you and we will be together soon.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    kelebek: I am so sorry for your loss. It just goes to show that byb are not any better than puppy millers, they don't care what kind of heart ache their irresponsible breeding brings.

I also lump the backyard breeder who is just doing it for profit right in there with the puppymills. They are still puppy mills only on a smaller scale. Just the idea of selling puppies like you would sell a craft item. With no regard to the genetics they are passing on.

I agree that their is a place for breeding, but not for pleasure. I mean it might be fun to have those pups but in mho, there should be a better reason then just pleasure. Creating a good working line of LGD or herding dogs. The show ring, as long as the dog is able to perform what it was orignally created to do also. For example English Setters that have field titles as well as conformation titles. There would still be a lot of puppies if only those types of people bred dogs and the dogs would be better quality. I just don't see the purpose of a yorki-shih-poo, or puggle etc.

I think the different between raising goats dog is that goat are an acceptable form of meat in this country. We can eat excess goats and I know for me that I am breeding my goats to get milk. I am trying to breed my lines up at the same time, but I still need to breed in order to get milk.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    rebelshope i totally hear you. i wish you were closer, we are looking for a home for my sisters golden retriever puppy, since she is going to Qatar in january

this probably doesn't relate too well but there is an animal rescue organization in town and last year before i got my basset puppy i went there, they had a beagle corgi cross that i wanted to get, they said he was good with other dogs and not food agressive, but they wouldn't let me bring our first dog up. so naive-ly i got the dog and paid 200 bucks

the day he came home he started fighting with our golden and then i fed him but when i went to take the bowl away he lunged at my face, teeth bared. so i returned the dog, but they wouldn't refund the money even though they lied to me.

i have since found out that they have adopted that dog out 8 times and he's been brought back because of agression. they are only using him as a money maker, and its disgusting

12. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    my cheyenne was a little wet black ball literally sitting on the double yellow lines of a major road
    she's now 14 and my most loyal friend
    austin was a dal that was being kept in a small 3rd floor apt
    he was pts because of cancer at age 11
    coco was supposed to be an 11 year old dal in good health
    (from a rescue in NYC)
    was given several excuses why i couldn't see pics but they offered to drive him all the way here
    he's an old (?) pitbull in bad health
    but he is white with a very few very tiny black spots
    he's friendly enough and has adjusted so he is staying
    but i dont' trust him with my goats
    helooks at them funny

13. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    I just wanted to post a comment . . . and if you feel angry about this comment . . . don't comment back please.
    I just wanted to ask you . . . why are you breeding goats if the market is flooded? The same reason some people breed dogs . . . now I admit, some people don't love their animals as much as we do . . . but above all---- they are animals put here for our use.
    And what about pygmys? Exactly how does their conformation exceed those of the 'designer dogs'?
    I have a 'shih-tzu' 'desighner dog' as some of you so flippently remarked about. She has an overbite, her body is really long, but her legs are great and she has the best heart i've ever seen in a dog. One look into those brown eyes and you melt.
    I breed my dogs once to twice a year. The puppies are healthy, bright eyed and nicely conformed, and yes, I will admit, I do it to turn a profit.
    But i just wanted to remind you all, don't pass judgement on something you may know nothing about. Something even you yourself may be doing!
    Just a reminder . . . no hard feelings meant . . .

14. Candy

Candy Guest

May 14, 2008
    What do you do with the ones that have an overbite or aren't nicely conformed? Do you nueter the males so that they don't produce those unwanted traits? Just nosey. :shrug:
    Candy :sun:

15. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    I haven't had any with overbites . . . which is amazing. They are always crossed with yorkie, which is a smaller, shorter breed. They are all beautiful pups everytime. If i do have a male/female with overbite or any other deformity it gets nuetured. :)

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i breed my goats like people breed for thier pedigree show dogs. its not about the money, its about the breeds..

if people breed for money, thats disgusting

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Talitha, I totally understand your point on breeding the "cross" pups, if you are concientious about placing them and are guarateeing their health, good for you. Pygmies are a "natural breed" there was nothing done to them with breeding to make them short and cobby...those breeders that bred them down way small really weren't thinking of the overall health of the goaties, I personally breed for milk production and don't feel that I'm contributing to the "over production" of goats, the kids I have born here are sold as pets, the bucklings are wethered because I know I don't have "perfect" goats.....and unlike the over population of dogs and cats in shelters, goats and their products are consumable therefore any doelings sold can be used in the same manner if the prospective owner wishes to do so, and the sale of those kids and the occassional gallon of milk pays for their feed and upkeep.

I know this topic was not meant to rile anyone, as we are all entitled to our opinions and so far I have seen very good replies, if we as moderators feel that the replies are getting too heated, it will be locked....so please be careful how you use your words, I know I personally enjoy reading everyones opinions....gives me a broader frame of mind :wink:

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  19. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    Sarah, I breed my animals for money--- because the money made from their offspring goes toward feeding the animals I already have and gives me a little spending money which I normally don't have. Again no hard feelings, but I have noticed that some of us are a little too flat and sharp in their words. I honestly think we should think about what we say when we say something, else make sure to bring the point across correctly. Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion. :wink:

20. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    well my personality is sharp and to the point

and the money from kids should be a side product

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.