Just kidded, swollen vulva?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bekaah, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bekaah

bekaah New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    My doe is kidded for the first time yesterday, there wasn't much of a mess and it was very quick. Today when I went to check on her, her vulva was swollen. It stuck out about pretty far, and (forgive how I try to explain this) it was so swollen that the some of the inside of her vulva was out? She has been pooping normally, but I haven't seen her urinate at all, I was there from around 10:30 to 3. I called my breeder, she said that it was probably because she was a first freshener and that the baby was a good size. She said to put a warm compress on it and suggested calling the vet just to be safe. When I tried calling, they were closed and it forwarded to another vet who doesn't do livestock and they said to just watch her. There isn't any drippy blood either (but I'm giving her Molly's Herbal pregnancy tonic so I wasn't expecting any.) I didn't get a picture, I will when I go back to feed again. HELP, it's concerning me, especially because she hasn't peed!! Is this normal? What do I do?? :confused:

NOTE: I put a warm washcloth on it for a couple minutes. The swelling seemed to have gone down a little bit.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Try putting some Preparation H on it. That will help with the swelling and soreness. You do want her to start cleaning within a day or so. Otherwise she will get an infection.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You will need someone that is knowledgeable in prolapses, to put it back in. Leaving it out is bad. It won't allow her to go to pee.

Putting sugar on it, will help to shrink it, if it is really large.

She needs help right away.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Some swelling for several days is normal...it sounds like your girl had a minor prolapse. I agree with Goathiker...continue with the warm compresses, use some prep. h, an keep an eye out to make sure she has a good lochia flow within a couple of days. It should be dark brownish/red and taper off over 2-3 weeks.

Does she appear to be straining to pee? A lot of times they don't pee much for a couple of days because their body is replenishing fluids lost during the birthing process. If she isn't acting like she needs to pee, I wouldn't be too concerned. She may have peed when you weren't out with her as well :)

5. lacylou1

lacylou1 New Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Kentucky
    Two thoughts. A vet I once worked for years ago treated a prolapse by pouring table sugar on it and saturating it really well. The sugar caused the tissue to shrink.
    My other thought was to encourage the mama goat to drink more by putting molasses in warm water. My doe really liked the taste and drank lots. That was a tip I got off here from some more experienced goat people.

Attached Files:

6. bekaah

bekaah New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you everyone!! I guess I should rephrase some of that; it wasn't majorly inside out, just it was sooo swollen that the inside was shown, but I don't think it was prolapse. I put a warm washcloth of it for a few minutes about 4 times throughout the day. The swelling has gone down SO much. I have a picture, it still is a little puffy, but looks much better. And...SHE PEED!! We were walking to the front of the yard to get feed and I decided to bring Lacy (first freshener with the 'problem') and Sassy (her kid) with us. Lacy walked about half way, stopped, and peed for a minute. It was a very long wait for her to finish, there was a lot!! I guess she had been holding it in for quite some time. Maybe she didn't feel comfortable peeing in the stall because she wasn't used to it? I'm not sure. I think I might try to sugar thing tomorrow if it still looks bad/or looks worse in the morning. My mother didn't seem to think the prep. H was too good of an idea because she worried the baby might get into it. Thoughts? Do you think the baby will be able to, I want to do whatever will help my goat!!

I'm sorry I couldn't get a closer picture, camera wouldn't focus.

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
  7. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    FF's look like that allot. Its trauma and takes a while to heal. All mine looked like that because they had such large kids. Just keep it clean and apply Preparation H or a soothing vaginal cream. They sometimes try to hold their pee because it stings to go so that's probably why you didn't see her do it.

8. bekaah

bekaah New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    That's what my breeder told me. I'll go out and buy some tomorrow to put on, I personally think that the baby will be fine around the stuff, I don't think she'll try to eat it or anything. It just looked so bad this morning I was so worried! We had two other goats give birth here, FF's also, and they did not look like that.

9. HomesteadRed

HomesteadRed HomesteadRed

Feb 28, 2013
    south central pa
    Ok so know almost nothing about kidding (as I do not have goats yet!) but I was wondering... If trauma and swelling is a common issue with FF's, could some Kind of lotion/oil be applied often to help keep tissues from tearing and shearing? (we do it with humans... Rubbing oil and message of perineal tissues keeps the vaginal opening from tearing (so much) and helps stretch tissues). Would this work for a goat to help alleviate these issues?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, Prep H and I am glad see pee'd :)

11. bekaah

bekaah New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you!!!! I honestly was in a state of panic. This is my first goat, she's my big spoiled baby!! She's completely healthy with no problems, so when this happened, I freaked!! You guys have been very helpful! :love:

12. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    I know this is off topic but she has a really nice udder...

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Its ok to worry...its scary sometimes what we deal with ...its a lot of trauma for her bum to go through...Pre. H is good for swelling..once it seems back to normal size you can a coconut cream you can make at home..simply take coconut oil and whip it in a mixer until nice and fluffy...add the gel from a few Vit. E gel caps to the whipped Coconut...use this cream on her bum (outer) until healed, good udder balm as well.....BTW makes a great face cream too for us ladies ;)

14. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    Prep H and cold compresses. Cold takes away the inflammation and reduces the swelling. When mine pass huge kids, I give them banamine for a couple of days.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She will be better soon. It is OK to worry. ;)

16. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

If your mom is worried about residue, you could use Tucks pads instead. The bad thing about them is that they can sting at first. They do help with the pain and swelling though once they start to work. They need to be used much more often.
    The Preparation H soaks right in though. You don't need to use alot.

17. bekaah

bekaah New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    LOL thank you!!

And again, thank you all!! The cold compress makes more sense, I don't know why I didn't make that connection because I know that hot makes hot worse! DUH. :hammer:

I will try the coconut cream mix tomorrow, I know coconut oil is good for moisturizing and healing. I don't think I'll actually end up using Prep. H because the swelling went down a lot today. If tomorrow morning it's still pretty swollen, or it gets worse, I'll put some on. I just prefer more natural things. But I'm willing to do whatever will help her, too, if there isn't a natural way!