The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Sally was not eating last evening. I started her on oxytetracycline, injectable and B vit. Today she was not standing or eating. I noticed her gums seem pale and she was cold. So I gave her electrolyles force feeding, injectable dimethox and some shots of lactated ringer's solution under the skin. She quickly turned for worse and died on my arms. :mad:
I dissected her to collect all the organs to send to the lab for analysis. I asked for a copper and selenium level and coccidia and worm levels. Any other suggestions for tests I should ask?
I have never lost an adult goat before. Lost a few kids from coccidiosis (they never had diarrhea). This was so sudden.
PS: I did not notice anything abnormal in her body cavity. She seemed pretty healthy,
Thanks,
Cris
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,877 Posts
I'm sorry you lost your goat. It sounds like you have it pretty well covered. Hopefully they will find what happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,594 Posts
Im sorry for your loss...could be enteriotoxemia?
 

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
cold usually means their stomach has shut down. Making pretty much anything you put in there toxic. Other then things that are ment to kick start their rumin. For instance, the last thing you wanna give a baby who isnt eating and is under temp is milk.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
379 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It's a hard thing, I know first hand. My Doe did pretty much the same thing. I didn't have any testing or anything done so I will never know which I'm sorry for now. Yes, please let us know what you find out. Sending Big hugs to you.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top