Just not fitting in

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dragonfly farms, Jan 30, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I got two new 2 yr old does in Oct. I was told that the had been with other goats and used to walk right up to people at their other home. The current owner's impression of them was they were skittish. It has been 3 months now and they are still not part of my herd. wherever the other goats are these girls are in the opposite direction. When it comes to feeding time, they used to just cower in the corner and get beat up. Now they eat with everyone and then cuddle in their corner. During the rain or snow, they get kicked out of the barn and end up spending all day underneath it. Usually by my lowest doe on the totem pole. I wish these two would just start standing up for themselves! What can I do to help them at this point, I have tried everything I can think of to integrate them and no beans! I would like to breed them in the next few months, but if they are being harassed I don't want to risk them losing the babies.

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

This is just an opinion - no scientific info to back it up. In my opinion, confidence is key. The goats are not confident, so they do not stand up for themselves. I would recommend separating them and spending time with them every day. Get them friendly and sure of themselves, lots of positive reinforcement and such. When they are alert, friendly, and vigorous, try them with the herd again.

Just a theory...

3. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    That is one i have not tried! i had them on the far side of them fence once they got here so they could get used to the others. They are friendly ish with us. But it is worth a try! I dragged them out from under the shed and put them up in a stall with water and food so they dont have to compete for it today in the nasty weather! They seemed very grateful!

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

My 3 bottle babies still aren't fully accepted with the others in my barn. As they grow older though, they are getting better at standing up for themselves. I did separate the 3 into another pen for the nights for a few months so they could eat grain & hay without being pushed around or scarred. You may want to separate them for the nights also so they can get their full nutrition & grow big/strong. Then they can stand up for themselves when they mature.

5. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I have only had my herd for 3 months, and they came from 4 different prior owners. There are three (from two different homes) that were getting kicked out of the feeders, the water buckets, the manger - it didn't matter where they went, the pushy ones would go chase them out. I finally challenged the two worst offenders and defended "my babies". I hunched down like a linebacker and pushed the others out of the way - cleared the way to the food, water or whatever the ousted ones wanted. I eventually had to "throw down" the worst bully (who wasn't even the herd queen - she just liked to bully) until she learned that I was boss. I won't say that this has solved all of the problems, but the outsiders are now confident that they are supposed to be part of the herd and willing to defend themselves. Good luck!

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would separate the aggressive one out while leaving the other 2 together. Take the aggressive one out of the familiar pen for several weeks or a month. Then bring her back. The less dominate 2 will do their pecking order thing and 1 will become the herd queen. When you bring the formerly aggressive doe back she will be on the bottom of the pecking order and have to establish her place. the present herd queen will try to keep her place at the top. I hope this make sense.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Seperate the two of them, they have learned to go to eachother for safety. Take one of your top does and put her in a pen by herself with one of the timid ones. They will become buddies eventually, then re introduce both back into the herd.
    beth