Just one of those days.........

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Apr 26, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm just having one of those days..........where do i start........

Well first of all we've been having off and on thunderstorms, I wish it would just stop raining, I've got bucks to clip......

Then yesterday we bought a new Saanen doe and went to pick up her and her doe kid today, I'm really excited about this doe, her full sister is a SGCH, LA'ed 91 and milked over 3000 lbs She is really nice, you can see a pic of her sister here 4th doe down: http://www.tradewindsdairygoats.com/category/does/

Then this morning at milking time I discovered that Tillie lost a little less then half her tail :shocked: :shocked: And I'm sure I just baffled anybody that read that. She was fine last night and I didn't notice anything then this morning I noticed the end of her tail was all bloody and it was just gone! I have no idea how it happened, I didn't find blood or the chunk of her tail anywhere in the barn and the barn was all closed up last night so nothing could have gotten in. I checked everybody's mouths for blood but nobody had bit her tail off. I just can't imagine what it would take to do that. We wrapped her up and she's not in a lot of pain so thats good.

Then Molly, who I really really really did not want bred this year, and if I did want her bred I did not want her bred to the buck that got out had her kids this morning, a buck and a doe, they are sooo cute. They are reddish cream, really pretty.

So I think thats all for now, I have a buck show to go to next weekend, my first show ever, I'm really excited about that. I'm taking Yogi and BooBoo, they still have a ton of winter hair so I need to get them clipped.

Ok, done ranting :shades:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when it rains it pours............oh wait you are getting that too :slapfloor:

A buck show ...cool! Let us know how it all goes :leap:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL:

So sorry about the goats tail.. :(

..she was locked in the barn ..... :scratch: That is a mystery for sure.....hmmm.........

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well like I said nobody had blood on their mouths, LaManchas must bite more than ears maybe........although that would take a ton of force.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yea.......there is a tail bone in there... :scratch: ..that is a terrible thing... to of happened....

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Sorry about the bad luck-but it looks like you added a nice new line to your Saanen herd. My mom's hoping to make it to California for this year's nationals with her Saanens. I'm going to send Kadisha along with her if she gets to go. I hope to be able to go but there is no guarantees with the way things have been going around here-just depends on how Grandma is doing.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :how the kech did her tail get bitten off?! weird for sure!

congrats on the new doe and kids.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    you dont have tall fescue in your pasture or hay do you? it can cause tails and hooves to slough off ...

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    keren ...wow ..fescue...does that ...I never knew that....it is good to know.. :shocked:

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I hear ya about the rain, it can stop already. Like we in the Midwest have not had our share of rain in the past two years right?

That is strange about the tail. I keep trying to think of ways it could have happened, but none of them make sense.

Congrats on the kids though. :)

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    lol you would think, although I would never ask it to stop raining, my dad's cousin did that back in the spring of '88 and it didn't rain for three years :ROFL: Although we don't even have anything planted yet :(

Nope, thats one thing we made sure we didn't have in our pastures because we read somewhere it caused birth defects in cattle(and something else, I forget)

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow, Sarah, you have had a full plate!

Things do get better, thuogh not when we want them to :hug:

My yearling buck lost the last 1/2 inch of his tail over the winter....and I assume that one of the older boys bit him, it is healed up now, just left a bald spot with a scar on the tip. There was no blood on them either....just all over the shed walls :?

13. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I hope the show goes well for you!! :leap: So sorry that Tillie lost her part of her tail. :hug:

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We had the vet out to look at Tillie, luckily it didn't need to be amputated but it is infected. We were having a really hard time keeping her tail wrappings on so we put two foam collars on her so she can't turn around, she wasn't happy about that :ROFL:

My buck show is tomorrow, I can't wait!! Hopefully the rain will hold off, probably not :p

15. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I hope the rain holds off for you! :) Please let us know the show goes!! :)

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    :hug: :hug: Good Luck in the buck show.

17. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

I remember those years! It was bad, and how I know who to blame lol :wink: , no asking for the rain to stop, how about move to middle and northern WI they are having a drought now.

Good luck on at the show tomorrow.