The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 girls that I had exact breeding dates for both had twin boys 2 days early has any one noticed weather typically the goats if having girl(s) have them earlier or later then those that are having boys? I have herd some people say that one gender usually comes earlier then the other just wondering if anyone haas noticed that

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes, I have noticed boys deliver early and girls gestate a day or two longer. So, at least when your doe is over due you can feel a little more confident about getting a doe.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do know they go when the finally feel like it lol but I was curious if any one saw a pattern with who might be born sooner and who later I am praying for girls this time I always get so crazy the last couple of days before the kid lol but out of 15 kids this season only 2 where girls and 1 was still born :( I so want some girls lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would say since boys tend to be larger they may not need an extra day or two to cook.

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

·
Registered
344 Posts
Apparently my observations were not based on science at all. Here's the result of a study about goat gestation:
Data, collected at a centre in north-eat Mexico on 1468 pregnancies and 2356 newborn goat kids, born between 1991 and 1996, of 6 genetic groups (Alpine, Granada, Nubian, Saanen, Toggenburg and crossbred)under intensive management were used to determine some genetic and non-genetic factors affecting gestation length, and to assess the relationship between gestation length and survival of kids to 25 days of age. The study revealed significant (P<0.01) effect of breed of dam, litter weight, breeding season and parity on gestation length. Number of kids born and sex of kids were not a significant source of variation affecting this trait. Granada goats had the shortest gestation (149.0±0.31 days), whereas Toggenburg (151.7±0.28 days) and Alpine (151.4±0.46 days) had the longest. Litter weight and gestation period were related curvilinearly in summer and linearly in autumn. Gestation of goats bred in summer was 1 day longer (P<0.01) than those mated in the autumn. There was a progressive reduction of gestation length as parity increased (151.3±0.24, 150.6±0.17 and 149.9±0.39 days for 1, 2-6 and >7 kiddings respectively). The mean survival rate of kids gestated <148 days and 148-152 days were 78±2 and 87±1, respectively, and these were significantly lower (P<0.05) than the survival rate of kids gestated 152-156 days and >156 days (94±1 and 95±2). Prolonged gestation (152-160 days) in goats was beneficial because it resulted in heavier litters at birth and higher viability of neonatal kids.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently my observations were not based on science at all. Here's the result of a study about goat gestation:
Data, collected at a centre in north-eat Mexico on 1468 pregnancies and 2356 newborn goat kids, born between 1991 and 1996, of 6 genetic groups (Alpine, Granada, Nubian, Saanen, Toggenburg and crossbred)under intensive management were used to determine some genetic and non-genetic factors affecting gestation length, and to assess the relationship between gestation length and survival of kids to 25 days of age. The study revealed significant (P<0.01) effect of breed of dam, litter weight, breeding season and parity on gestation length. Number of kids born and sex of kids were not a significant source of variation affecting this trait. Granada goats had the shortest gestation (149.0±0.31 days), whereas Toggenburg (151.7±0.28 days) and Alpine (151.4±0.46 days) had the longest. Litter weight and gestation period were related curvilinearly in summer and linearly in autumn. Gestation of goats bred in summer was 1 day longer (P<0.01) than those mated in the autumn. There was a progressive reduction of gestation length as parity increased (151.3±0.24, 150.6±0.17 and 149.9±0.39 days for 1, 2-6 and >7 kiddings respectively). The mean survival rate of kids gestated <148 days and 148-152 days were 78±2 and 87±1, respectively, and these were significantly lower (P<0.05) than the survival rate of kids gestated 152-156 days and >156 days (94±1 and 95±2). Prolonged gestation (152-160 days) in goats was beneficial because it resulted in heavier litters at birth and higher viability of neonatal kids.
Wow that was great info thank you

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my herd this yr my first kidding season all my twin boys where born at 148 days my boy/girl twins where born at 147 so far I still have 3 girls to go

1 - 8 of 8 Posts