Just some fuzzy kid pics

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by keren, Dec 26, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Daiquiri kept marching over to me, so here's a heap of pictures of her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mickey Blue Eyes

[​IMG]

The group

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    They have gotten so big! I love their cute furry lil legs and faces :drool:

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    How absolutely adorable! They just call out to you to come hug them... :)

4. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    oh ma gee
    They are adorable and so fluffy!

5. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    VERY cute!!!!!!!! :greengrin:

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Just look how cute and fuzzy they are! :love:

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh my gosh, how cute are they!!!

:love:

Must . . . resist . . .

8. eliya

eliya New Member

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keren, They are some very nice looking goats. It looks like they will have some wonderful fleece also.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They are adorable little goats!! :love:

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks everyone

this is why i went into angoras, there may not be as much money in them as the boers, and they are more work with shearing and everything, but wow they are just beautiful, they captured my heart :greengrin: i love em

'scuse the lack of capitals, lamb on lap

i'm still waiting on a few of them to really come into their mohair!

12. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I love how you can see all the gum trees in the background of all your photos xD

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I think .......they are so cute....... :love:

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks toth! I think so too :greengrin:

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So, tell us more about this breed. I had a doe and her doe kid when I lived in New Mexico. But, they were just pets as I didn't have any desire for a goat herd at the time. We hear that Angora's are not as hardy as other breeds. Do they have more kidding trouble? I imagine weather can be a problem...heat especially...what about cold? My Cashmere goats are "cold proof" lol. How do you market the wool? How much (lbs) do you shear/year?

They are so cute! I loved mine...they were so friendly...even though they came "off the reservation".

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks Di, any excuse to talk about my angoras! lol

I have not found them to be less hardy than my boers and dairy does, I think that idea comes about because they can be susceptible to wind and rain directly after shearing, so they do need shelter at these times. I provide lean tos, three sided sheds and natural shelter in the form of tree belts and have not had a problem. Another health issue they are prone to is grass seeds in the eyes - you need to keep up with wigging (trimming the hair on the face) or breed open faced (without hair on the face) animals. I personally like a good facial coverage because a) its prettier and b) I think they tend to carry more fleece all over if they are muffle faced. So for me, the decision is to wig regularly, I wig and crutch at 4 mths growth and then shear at 6 mths growth.

Kidding has not been a problem for me, they dont seem to be as fecund as boers and dairies, I dont get anywhere near as many triplets and I've only heard of one set of quads. Also alot of angoras struggle to raise triplets and I think that is why they tend not to have them. They raise twins just fine though. We have to remember that they are doing more jobs than other breeds - they are making milk, growing a kid, trying to maintain themselves and growing a fleece as well, and the way they are put together the fleece actually gets the nutritive priority. Consequently I have some does that always stay thinner than I would like them, but they give gorgeous fleeces. I would prefer a happy medium.

The first three shearings are the most valuable, as the micron gets coarser as the goat gets older. Kid micron is classified as anything under 30 microns, typically my goats start off around 20 micron at the first shearing though some other people get as low as 17, by the third shearing mine are around 28, and by fourth shearing they generally hit 30 so are no longer kid producers. But, I have just introduced new bloodlines and with those I am managing to stay in the kid range for the first 5 shearings, which is just amazing because it is the kid fibre that gets the premium - between 25 and 40 dollars a kilo. My adults dont generally get over 35 micron, though I know some people out there have them at 40 and more, even third and fourth shearing animals. That is not profitable for my situation.

As far as weight goes, with the first shearing you generally get 1 to 2kg (2.2 to 4.4 lbs) off each kid, by the third shearing mine are doing between 3 and 4 kilograms (6.6 to 8.8 lbs), the bucks 5 or 6 (11 to 13.2 lbs).

Mine do not care at all about the heat, I think it is natural insulation. I have more problems with the dairy goats and heat.

I actually sell my mohair privately to handspinners through ebay, but there is a grower pool here where you drop off your mohair, they combine it with other similar mohair to make big lots, then they hold an auction for the international buyers, and at the end of it all they send you your check. Does make it quite easy, most Australian mohair is sold to Japan, US and UK, some to Sth Africa but that has receeded significantly in the last three or so years. Mohair is not processed at all in Australia, all sold raw.

A couple of things I have found: they are not as outgoing as Boer goats generally, while they will come over to you in a paddock situation just like Boers, I have found more Boers are naturally friendly, wanting scratches even though they werent handled as a kid, angoras you dont get quite as many like that, they are slightly more aloof. The other thing is they are so much easier to keep in the fences. In my experience, dairy goats like to go over, Boers like to go under, angoras tend not to do either, generally (I have had some exceptions to that rule though!) and they dont seem to be as destructive on the fences as the boers, either.

Hope I didnt overload you, thats all I can think of at the moment!

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks Keren, that is so interesting. I have Cashmere goats, but I haven't had the fleece processed yet (as Hubby keeps reminding me). But, with only 4 adult does, I didn't really have enough to send (I'll use a "mini mill" to process mine into yarn). But, now I have the original 4 does and their 4 doelings, so I should have enough to send in the spring. I had several Pygoras originally, but those needed to be clipped and I found I preferred the "combing" that Cashmeres require. You get alot more fleece from the Pygoras' though.

I was really hoping to get a couple of Alpacas, may still as the prices are going down. They are such interesting animals...sometimes I wish I'd never seen them...I was obsessed for awhile! LOL.

Is mohair similar to cashmere, in the smoothness of the cuticle? Or is it more like wool? I can't wear wool, but I can wear cashmere.

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome :love:

19. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    They are adorable! Thank you for sharing.

20. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Very Very cute!! This is the first time i saw this breed before i think! I want one!!! lol they are beautiful, So fuzzy