Just some questions.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Crissa, May 6, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay Lyric kidded about a month ago to Finale, she was keeping her weight just fine until recently she's looking thinner. It used to be I could barely feel her ribs, now I can really feel them and see her hip bones. Is there anything I can give her to help out? Like some sort of calcium pill or something? It's also been raining almost non stop so I'm going to go ahead and worm everybody again. She doesn't look too terrible, I just don't want this baby to drain her.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Unfortunately that is one of the problems I see with nursing kids, the moms just put everything in for their babies. Does she have access to good quality alfalfa? Do you know of a place where you can get some barley?

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yeah, she has alfalfa (almost gone because the humidity ruined the rest) and bermuda grass hay. So she gets too choose. I can look around for some barley.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can also give her a few B shots, sometimes that helps them to utilize their food better.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Purina makes a Nobel Goat Dairy Parlor grain feed I use that and Luna milks great and holds her weight. It also increased her daily production about 5oz-8oz. It would replace the grain ration you give.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You can add a tablespoon of olive oil or veggie oil to her grain for extra calories...no more than a tablespoon though or it can have a laxative effect.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would add a good portion of black oil sunflower seeds to her grain ration. the oils and protein really help with weight.
    beth

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I had been giving her a cup of BOSS in her feed. Should I add a bit more?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    check eyelids for paleness - I would get a fecal done for cocci and worms. IF you cant afford it I would just go right ahead and treat her since she is in the same pen as Lyrae was. I just started all my goats on corid after I noticed little Zeke with runny smelly stools.

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I got their fecals done last week and they're all fine. (I'm majorly paranoid still) And none of them are pale. These are the first things I checked. I gave her more feed (about 2 pounds maybe a bit more) and her milk production is up again. I think she'll be fine once the baby is weaned. I just don't like her being thin! It's just weird, she's usually my fatty girl. lol

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    producing milk takes a lot out of a good milker. She just is a good producer more then likely and is putting all that feed into the milk

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Darn, I really wish she wouldn't put it ALL in the pail! I can't wait until Ebony and Finale are producing too, then I won't have to worry so much about getting enough milk AND keeping them in decent condition. (especially on an acre)

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    It just sound like she is one of those does. You can feed her more, but she will probably just make more milk. *shrugs*