The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never tasted such sweet, supple meat! This meat was from a year old wether that had been a pet to us, but unfortunately had become violent with my older, retired girl, and the kids. We just couldn't have that, and with no pet homes in sight (especially not for a goat that wasn't gentle to other goats ... we didn't want to spoil our other, more pet-quality wethers from their chance at a home), we chose what we felt was the most humane option for him.

It was strange eating meat from an animal I had raised, but what a satisfying feeling. This meat did not come from an animal that was stuck in a crate, abused, and fed unholy crap its whole life. This meat came from an animal who was loved, valued, and healthy.

I'm not sure I'll be able to eat store-bought meat again! I've been spoiled! And so have my parents, they loved it too.

Anyway, just wanted to share the experience. It was definitely a good one. :)

·
14,615 Posts
Spoiled? How right you are! The ground beef mush they sell in the store is no match.
Wait till you get to the liver, oh so mild! Nothing like the mass produced heavy tasting leather.
Did you do him yourself?

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, we had him brought to a small, local butcher. He only had maybe a 5 minute wait, so we feel very good about that. :)

I can't wait to try the rest! We had the ground meat in enchiladas last night, we still have more to try. :D

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
It is delicious. I want to have more sometime but can't seem to find a butcher or a friend to do it for me. I want to learn how to clean and all myself but I'd like to have help the first time.

I've had goat meat several times. I sold wethers for meat before I tried it and didn't understand why people would eat goat (I was very much I newbie). Then I tried it and finally understood. It was hard to way store bought again but I didn't have a choice lol! I've also had fresh lamb.... talk about juicy!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I love it! Glad everyone else does too. And it's such a versatile meat, just like any other :)

My mother said it tasted just like tri-tip! I couldn't understand how she could bring herself to insult it like that....

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
:ROFL: Trinity!
Sorry, I'm not a huge tri-tip fan at all! It is good, but too hard to chew and I always end up choking to death on it. Chevon is tender and delicious. When we had it, we ate it on shish kabobs and homemade stone-oven pizza. I think it's time to get some more :)

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
I need to get brave to try goat too...we raise hair sheep and finally tasted that meat...very good...we do our own chicken, turkey sheep and pig..now we must be brave and do goat...we just began our boar lady prorgram..but of course we got babies so it will be a while be fore we breed them...Hubby would have no problem...Im just not there yet...but truly getting close....I no longer get angry when folks stop and ask if we sell goats for meat lol..

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Try the meat as a sandwich using a blueberry bagel as the bread. Its sooo good. Goat meat goes good with blueberries surprisingly.

Sorry, I'm not a huge tri-tip fan at all! It is good, but too hard to chew and I always end up choking to death on it. Chevon is tender and delicious. When we had it, we ate it on shish kabobs and homemade stone-oven pizza. I think it's time to get some more :)
Tri-tip can be absolutely divine and melt in your mouth if cooked correctly and sliced thinly.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
awesome!

do you know if the butcher rested the meat before you had it? i've heard for barbados black belly sheep, it has to rest for 5 days...do you know if it's the same for goat?

·
1,524 Posts
It took me 30+ years to finally bite the bullet, swallow my guilt and raise a buckling for meat. Last year I had a buckling that I could not sell, so off he went. OMG! I am raising 2 for this year.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I keep telling myself if I can't sell my buckling before fall, he will go to the freezer. I am anxious to try goat meat since you all say it is so good!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
:eek:
I have never tried it before, I love my goats too much! Lol, I couldn't bring myself to do it.
I butcher myself, I can drop and dress a pig, cow, deer, bear, mountain lion, chicken, duck, goose, pretty much any animal, but never a goat! I've been butchering since I was 11 (well, helping back then), never had a problem with it, but I have such a strong attachment to goats, they are some of my best friends.....
maybe if someone else raised one and I never knew it....
I don't know, I can eat pork, beef or chicken no problem, I love those meats, but with all the other animals, I have a hard time eating them because of the thought of what it was kinda gives me the ebi-gibies.
I tried lamb for the first time in my life a few days ago, to me it tasted like goose. I don't really like goose, if I had a choice between a chickens and a goose, I choose the chicken. Lol

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I want to try goat meat.. But I couldn't raise it and eat it.. I will happily and have raised my own pigs, chickens, rabbits and turkeys.. But I just don't think I could do a goat lol! But fresh homegrown meat is beyond good isn't it!?! Yumm!! :drool:

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:eek:
I have never tried it before, I love my goats too much! Lol, I couldn't bring myself to do it.
I butcher myself, I can drop and dress a pig, cow, deer, bear, mountain lion, chicken, duck, goose, pretty much any animal, but never a goat! I've been butchering since I was 11 (well, helping back then), never had a problem with it, but I have such a strong attachment to goats, they are some of my best friends.....
maybe if someone else raised one and I never knew it....
I don't know, I can eat pork, beef or chicken no problem, I love those meats, but with all the other animals, I have a hard time eating them because of the thought of what it was kinda gives me the ebi-gibies.
I tried lamb for the first time in my life a few days ago, to me it tasted like goose. I don't really like goose, if I had a choice between a chickens and a goose, I choose the chicken. Lol
I adore my goats. They are like family to me, very precious friends. But I feel I am protecting them ... this way I don't have to send them to homes that I'm not sure about, or to auction. This way if they don't get sold to an AMAZING home, they spend their lives by their dam's side, soaking in the sun, being loved on and cherished. :)

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Spring farm raised kid goats, when the meat is the light pink color, is some of the highest quality meat you will ever eat. Nothing compares to it. The only thing close is suckling kid lamb. I have 12 does now and I plan to get more so I can have more kids for the table. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

GT

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
It is delicious. I want to have more sometime but can't seem to find a butcher or a friend to do it for me. I want to learn how to clean and all myself but I'd like to have help the first time.

I've had goat meat several times. I sold wethers for meat before I tried it and didn't understand why people would eat goat (I was very much I newbie). Then I tried it and finally understood. It was hard to way store bought again but I didn't have a choice lol! I've also had fresh lamb.... talk about juicy!
http://www.ozarkjewels.net/homebutchering.htm This is the method we plan on using if/when we get to the butchering.....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
http://www.ozarkjewels.net/homebutchering.htm This is the method we plan on using if/when we get to the butchering.....
that's what I have planned for my buckling! I just need to find someone with a .22 who would have the stomach to pull the trigger.

i'd love for a small butcher shop that I would trust to treat my animal properly, do the deed quickly and then cut things up into proper pieces, but alas.....not down here. butchers down here don't understand the different cuts of meat. I had friends buy a whole lamb, and they said the meat was never hung so it was tough, and they received a package that had weird pieces cut up...just clumps of meat stuck together. a thin rib piece was stuck to a leg piece, and shoulders cut up with a band saw...... they couldn't discern what was what! scary stuff!

don't want that for my boy! so...gotta suck it up and do it myself!

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
that's what I have planned for my buckling! I just need to find someone with a .22 who would have the stomach to pull the trigger.

i'd love for a small butcher shop that I would trust to treat my animal properly, do the deed quickly and then cut things up into proper pieces, but alas.....not down here. butchers down here don't understand the different cuts of meat. I had friends buy a whole lamb, and they said the meat was never hung so it was tough, and they received a package that had weird pieces cut up...just clumps of meat stuck together. a thin rib piece was stuck to a leg piece, and shoulders cut up with a band saw...... they couldn't discern what was what! scary stuff!

don't want that for my boy! so...gotta suck it up and do it myself!
When you want something done right, do it yourself. You get the best quality and cleanest conditions when you do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts