Just tried Lyric's milk!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Crissa, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    And it was GOOD! I hate cows milk (without chocolate or something to sweeten it) but I really liked this, it was kinda sweet and it tasted pretty creamy. I even got my sister to try it and she liked it too! Now just to get the parent's to try it. :scratch: I can't wait to start making cheeses and everything! Any recipe suggestions? :greengrin:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I say start with something simple -- hard cheese isnt.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay so what would be something really simple and doesn't require a lot of milk? (I still have to share with the babies)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think there may be ome simple cheese recipes in the Cookin'Corner....also...wait til you have it chilled an have it on your cereal! My favorite is original Life cereal or Honey Bunches of Oats and goats milk....yummy,and I've been known to have it for dinner too, especially when I don't feel like cooking.

Cider Vinegar Ricotta Cheese

1 gallon fresh whole milk
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring milk to 185* F, remove from heat
    while stirring milk add the vinegar. Tiny curds will form very quickly
    Pour into a cheesecloth lined colander and drain for 20 minutes mix in salt to taste. will keep in fridge up to 1 week

DO NOT use the "cheescloth" sold in grocery stores...it is basically gauze and will not work for such a fine curd. Use a clean pillow case that has been turned seams out.

I enjoy fresh ricotta with canned peaches....very good and the peaches add a touch of extra sweetness to it.

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
  6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I buy my cheesecloth from Hoeggars....and I also use white pillow cases as well as white sheets that I cut into 2'x2' squares :wink:

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I've made the fudge recipes with goats milk-they are fairly simple to do. And the mozzerella isn't to hard either.

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks! I'll check out cookin' corner, I want a FUDGE recipe! (I'm a fudge-a-holic)

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Crissa....ANY recipe that calls for "milk" can be used with goats milk. As long as it is not evaporated milk. :wink: