Just Watched First Disbudding....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Natermotor, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Natermotor

Natermotor New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I just watched my first disbudding on youtube and that was the most heartbreaking sound I have ever heard. I think I'll have to pay somebody else to do my kids when I get some. Props to you that are able to handle that sound. :shocked:

2. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    So far mine scream like that from just getting picked up - and it's not nearly as bad as when I had to take my (human) kids to the doctor. My kids screamed at the mere sight of the doctor and would go for an hour easy :greengrin: It took both me and DH to take our son for a checkup. I'm completely immune to it.

3. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    I used to work at a vet clinic. We dehorned 1 kid, it was 3 months old.....I said I would NEVER do that to a goat. I had to hold the poor kid while the vet took used the dehorn tool and took out hunks of his skull. Then he cauterized it. NO pain shots, nothing! Blood all over me. Screaming goat. Nope I wouldnt do it. There is some stuff you put on thier horn buds before they grow to stop the growth, but dehorning was horrible!

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Its not that bad, they scream until you set them back down with mom, then they forget all about it lol.

I used to hate it, when I first saw it, not im getting ready to do it by myself

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is one reason I am so glad that I have Cashmere goats, they have to have the horns.

I could NEVER EVER do it. I see so many people that have something horrible happen. I know it is not always, but it is enough for me to never do it.

6. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    The vet I was working for was not much of a goat vet. The dehorners were for cows, and the holes it left were the size of quarters. He said they have 2 skulls, that what I was seeing down in the holes was its second skull. I dont know, but I do know it was tramatic on me and the kid! LOL

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree Lori ...I love my boers and the horns...we don't dehorn...even if someone asks.... It is the way.... we are and always will be.... :wink:

But... I am not saying... that others shouldn't dehorn...I do respect them ...but don't envy them...

8. The1moe

The1moe New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    No dehorning for me... I have one doe that has a bad spur and is currently nursing her kid... will probably band her horn next week...

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Disbudding and dehorning are two differnt things.

The kids scream yes but I know its for their own good and they ussualy scream more when I'm shaving around the buds then with the actual iron and then they go right to mom and nurse and then go lay down for a little bit. I give some banamine and that helps alot

10. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I agree with Stacey. Disbudding and dehorning are two different things. I dread disbudding too but in fact it really isn't as bad as you think it is going to be. Although I don't think I would ever want to dehorn an adult goat. Best to get rid of them early if you don't want them. Less traumatic for everyone.

11. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I got my girl "dehorned" by a vet, she was 4 months old, and she had pretty small horns, the vet made her sleep, and then he did it, she was even screaming in her sleep, I was just standing there screaming at the vet crying so hard.

Now shes 4 years old and my healthiest goat, she doesnt have any scurs, but you can tell she was dehorned, worst thing ive ever seen happen, but thats what the vet sugessted.

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I find that the kids cry just as much getting disbudded as they do with being restrained or handled when they aren't used to it.

It only lasts a few seconds and after that they run back to mom and are perfectly happy if the disbudding was done correctly. It's better for them in the long run generally if you need a disbudded goat.

13. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I agree, Disbudding is the way to go. We did our first over a week ago and it's time to do another one born several days ago now. It seems bad, but watch a few more of those videos on youtube and you'll get used to the noise. It's really not as bad as it seems when done properly. Our vet (not a goat vet) Done a disbudding for us on twin saanens Will never have him treat our goats again. We found out quickly that he is not a goat vet. He used an ancient cattle horn burner that obviously didn't get hot enough, it left blisters and oozing and they grew horns anyway. With the proper goat disbudder, no ooozing no blisters and no pain once they go back to momma. I agree ours cry more over the hair cut they get before disbudding then the actual disbud. They don't like to be restrained, it helps if you practice holding them tight for the disbud before you do it. You should watch more than one to help you get used to it. It's so worth it, they have that little bit of pain for the 4-8 seconds you do it but after that no more and you won't have to worry about horns being broke off, goats getting stuck by horns, etc.... In the long run your preventing the potential for futur worse pain.

14. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I honestly was surprised at how big a deal it was NOT the first time I disbudded. After all the build up, I expected a horrible experience that would leave me sick to my stomach.

But no, the kid screamed while we shaved the head, then we disbudded and he screamed then too but..?

I didn't think it was so bad. One minute later he was guzzling down a bottle, tail going a mile a minute and then he was bouncing around. No big deal.

Compared the the four inch scar on my upper thigh from my favorite goat who accidently caught me with her horns. Or to the goats I've untangled from fencing. Or the horns I had to band on older goats. Or my friend's goat who was eaten alive while stuck in the fence.....

I'll disbud!

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    A lot of people can't stand disbudding and have other people do it.. I myself can't trust anyone else to do it, even though I HATE it.

I disbud goats for several people cause they don't want to do it. Yes it sucks big time while you are burning them. But if it is done right it doesn't hurt much at all after. :)

16. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    It bothers my mama heart but I usually stand and watch Ashley do it. She does a great job. The kids quickly recover. the worse thing is the smell of burning fur. Yikes- that is gross!

17. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

We had our kids disbudded yesterday. It was bad for a few seconds, but the vet said it doesn't take long for the nerves to be killed, and after that they can't feel anything.
    Is there a safe painkiller you can give a kid beforehand?