Just weaned the babies

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 17, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just weaned all my babies, gathered them up and took them to their new pen with lots of hay and pellets. The oldest is 11 wks the youngest is 9 wks, plus there is a 4wk lamb in there. Younger than I normally do it, I normally like to leave the fibre kids particularly on until 3 mths. But, I have people coming out in a few weeks to buy goats, some want the does without kids, some want just the kids, so it had to be done.

I'm such a baby, I always feel bad cos I'm taking the does babies away, and they miss em. The babies dont seem to miss mum all that much.

I hate weaning time :sigh:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I know how you feel...I hate weaning them too, but it's for the best...and maybe they'll get some awesome new homes!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I to...... hate weaning time.. :( ...I think it is more stressful on the kids mom ....in which it is......"me".......LOL :) :worried:

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah, I always think well at least with the bottle babies they still get to play with their mum (me) even though they dont get any milk. But you cant exactly just hit the off switch on the doe's udders. I normally like to fenceline wean them, so they can still sit with their babies until they are ready to move on, but we are supposed to be getting some really bad storms and HEAPS of rain over the next few days, and the two paddocks I was going to use, well only the babies would have had shelter. So to give both groups shelter I had to take the babies out of eye sight (not out of ear shot though, so there's a bit of yelling going on - not too bad though).

Aargh, I think I work myself up over nothing! lol

5. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i'm such a baby i don't wean
    i start milking once a day when the babies are 6weeks
    then i milk twice a day when the babies are 8 weeks
    shortly there after momma starts kicking the babies off anyways

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I too hate weaning. If the doe is being retained I do not wean them, mom does naturally. . . . but when they are reserved for new homes, weaning is a dreaded time. :( So sad. Some of our does don't really care while others go on and on like they're dying. It's such a sad time. . . . but must be done.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know what you mean..keren...
    when it is time ....to put the doe kids that are keepers ....back out with mom....
    it is aggravating when you think mom is dried up...in which she kinda is.....the kid goes directly to the teat..... and mom stands there and lets her.....so I have to remove the kid again for a little longer....that's what drives me crazy... :hair: . But I love it when there dams say..."NO WAY" ........ :) :dance:

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    HH and capriola ... if I dont wean them my does keep feeding them ... I have tried it that way and 13 mths old they are still sucking, ends up being a disaster for everyone involved, mum cant keep up with feeding, growing another pregnancy and maintaining herself, and its even more of a mess when mum kids and the older 'kid' is taking all the colostrum and milk from the babies.

toth I usually dont have that problem, but I will admit I have it at the moment. Have a boer doe with twin does 7 mths old, weaned them, put them back in the same paddock because they are all the show team. Noticed after drying off that mums udder was filling up again, thought to myself yeah thats about right because she will be due to kid in a few months, well I realised the other day no, its because the little boogers are drinking off her again.

Its funny, I have some does that, when I put their kids back into the herd, they sit with them all the time, others dont want anything to do with them.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i wean kids at 8 weeks always.. i can't stand it when they nurse forever

10. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i've never had the problem of always nursing
    my does usually start weaning on their own around 8 weeks or so and they are totally kicked off by 4months at the latest...?
    doi just have weird goats?...