The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...does anyone here has only wethers as their whole herd as pets or packing/carting...etc (not for food though)? If so, how many do you have?

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have only wethers as pets...we started out with 2, we lost one at 6months sadly, got another wether one for a companion for the survivor...then just recently I seen one I just fell in love with and had to have him...so now we have 3 total.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got a billy and he is banded now. He will e a wether and my friend is getting another billy to be banded. So we will have two wethers sharing a pen. They will be very spoiled pets! Mine has already had a shower and blow dry!!!! He LOVED it!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, nice to meet you all. :) I have 5 wethers...and would get more if I have the space and money. My friends with goats laughed and challenged me to find other goat owners with only wethers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have five wethers as part of the herd. We use them as pack goats and harness goats. Wethers make great workers and pets but especially workers. Two of our wethers, Amos and Ethan are fifteen and they still pack a little bit. :)
Hi Bambi, this is Eliza...I bought the pack and saddle from you but haven't had a chance to try it on Cody. However, I had the pack on my dog just to see how it looks. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bambi -- do you have any resources (books/videos) for training goats to harness? I have trained dogs to pull small carts, but they were already obedience trained (knew the commands stand, stay, back). Should I just train my kids the same way? (We had two kids born this year, both wethers, so if they stay with us I need to put them to work).

I like the idea of using them as pack goats, too, but I don't know if goats are allowed on our state park hiking trails. Dogs aren't.

Thanks,
Irma Mitton
Clover Creek Farms

1 - 10 of 10 Posts