The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious from which walk of life most were from on here? Seems like perhaps some most people are going to reside in rural areas? Also how does one come to keep Goats?

·
8,492 Posts
I was raised on a cow dairy farm, after a few years of living in Colorado and Missouri, I am back on the family farm. We can't milk cows, so I went with goats- (too hard to get back into
cow milking- the old barns won't pass State milk inspections anymore). We are still rural- but the daggone city is looming closer. (half way between Cleveland, Oh and Erie, PA)
One goat became 3, and now years later a whole bunch! I milk between 60-85 depending on the time of year and how Covid effects the milk sales to the cheese buyer.
We had goats when I was a kid, I worked as a vet assistant and vet tech at a giant dairy farm in Missouri, so that plus my knowledge of cows etc. sure help with the goats- although, they
do throw curve balls frequently! (healthwise).

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Raised in a small town in East Tennessee. One of my uncle trained American saddlebred horses when I was younger. Another uncle had chickens, boer and then Nigerian dwarf goats and rabbits. So was always around critters. Got older got my own horses, ended up needing goats to help clean up an old cattle farm we rented, then goat hooked on Nubians. Before getting my own farm worked as a vet tech and kept my horses between my family's farms or a short time I boarded at a friend's farm down the road. Had thought I wanted to be a vet until working as a tech foe years. The vets advised against it, it doesnt pay enough for all the injuries you end up with and can hardly pay back student loans. So didn't go into vet med. Love my critters. Downsized and bought a farm closer to my parents but still have a few goats, horses, LGD, cats and a German shepherd. E.I.E.I.O!

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I am a city girl who sold my house in California and started farm life in Texas. We bought 40 acres, with house and barn.. Best move I ever made!! Met a gal who showed Boer goats and she got us started in goats. Boer just didn't fit our needs and so we went dairy. I have had almost every breed of dairy goats and finally settled with Lamancha as my fave breed and nigerian as a super duper close second. We also raise Dexter cows..some mixed with Herford, chickens, geese, ducks and turkey and we have 5 donkeys. I plan in getting kune kune pigs by next spring or summer.
This life is a blessing to raise kids!!

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
763 Posts
Born and raised in central Illinois farm country. My parents had a horse when I was little, had chickens most of my life, and a cat. We ended up getting rid of all our animals as we got a little older. I loved animals,but having them didn’t really work out because I’m VERY allergic to cats, dogs, horse, etc. (but surprisingly not goats)

A few years ago we took a vacation to Gatlinburg. There, we went to a store called Goats on the Roof. They had lots of trinkets and stuff for sale. They also had baby goats in the store and we fell in LOVE!

Fast forward a few months and we ended up moving to East Tennessee (love it here). We moved next to a small 6 acre farm with about 7 head of cattle. We met and become good friends with our neighbors who owned the farm. Turned out they were old horse racers and had an old horse barn that had been empty for years. After we talked about it for a bit, our neighbors said we could put some goats in the horse barn and stalls. We were completely clueless to goats, but knew we loved them and really wanted some. We ended up calling Goats on the Roof (because they were the only people we knew who had goats) and talked with them about all they needed, etc. Long story short, we bought the same goats we saw in the store Goats on the Roof a year before while on our vacation! If you would have told me the baby goats we saw while on vacation would be ours one day I would have called you crazy, yet, here we are! It was quite a miracle really!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Born and raised in central Illinois farm country. My parents had a horse when I was little, had chickens most of my life, and a cat. We ended up getting rid of all our animals as we got a little older. I loved animals,but having them didn’t really work out because I’m VERY allergic to cats, dogs, horse, etc. (but surprisingly not goats)

A few years ago we took a vacation to Gatlinburg. There, we went to a store called Goats on the Roof. They had lots of trinkets and stuff for sale. They also had baby goats in the store and we fell in LOVE!

Fast forward a few months and we ended up moving to East Tennessee (love it here). We moved next to a small 6 acre farm with about 7 head of cattle. We met and become good friends with our neighbors who owned the farm. Turned out they were old horse racers and had an old horse barn that had been empty for years. After we talked about it for a bit, our neighbors said we could put some goats in the horse barn and stalls. We were completely clueless to goats, but knew we loved them and really wanted some. We ended up calling Goats on the Roof (because they were the only people we knew who had goats) and talked with them about all they needed, etc. Long story short, we bought the same goats we saw in the store Goats on the Roof a year before while on our vacation! If you would have told me the baby goats we saw while on vacation would be ours one day I would have called you crazy, yet, here we are! It was quite a miracle really!
Lol yes, Goats on the roof! I keep forgetting your also East TN too! Well at the old farm we accidentally had goats on the roof. Backyard shed row was next to a bank and one day the kids got up there playing jumping around and eating tree branches. Best goat play ground ever!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
We lived in Houston for years, almost all my life. I hated it, always wanted to be in the country. The doors opened 6 years ago and we were able to buy our first home in the country on 11.5 acres. We started with chicks about 5 months after we moved in. Goats came about a year later, maybe not quite a year. I didn't want them as I'd heard horror stories. A friend invited us to see their new baby goats that were born and she dispelled all the myths and stories we heard. We came. played with baby goats, fell in love, and 2 weeks later were bringing home a 1-year-old in milk (still have her, my best girl) and a bottle baby. A month later we had another bottle baby. Had those 3 for a while and then slowly started getting more, learning heavily about them and now we breed for lots of milk and hardy goats. I love them and can't live like without them.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
Born and raised in central California on our family cattle ranch. Husband is a fire fighter and day care is expensive so I wanted to do something that was ALL mine and to try and feel like I was contributing something with my husband being the one that was working and my two small kids could be involved in. So I bought some of the throw away dairy bucks. Found out fast milk was not cheap so bought 3 dairy does with the plan to sell them as well. Fell in love with them so bought more goats. Got a good deal on a registered boer doe, then a buck, and then the start of the registered boer obsession started. So what started as a idea to make money has turned into a money pit that keeps me hostage (don’t mind me I’ll be sour with my goats for another 2 months until they kid and I’m reminded why I put up with all the bad the sometimes like to pull, which was today!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts