The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
did you get her grain when you picked her up? I try to get a weeks supply or more and send that much with my goats.

I am sure she is eating something -- if you want to you can try putting extra hay out just in case

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
the lady didn't feed grain, but told me to offer her some every 2-3 days as a treat and then more as she gets along in the pregnancy, i've been giving her extra hay, but i need to get her onto pellets asap, because hay is still really expensive down here.

i feed king feeds, it takes less to get more out of it, which is super cool

thinking about maybe the pellets are too big for her liking?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
that could work.. i would just be a little frightened to give her too much.. i mean the worst thing would be an upset tummy.. the funniest thing would probably be her in ADHD mode..

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
you took her to a new home, and now making her eat strange food....she is going to balk at it. I would give her time. You cant force an animal to eat sometimes. I have had my share of picky goats and doing everything gradually is the important thing. Gigi refused to eat the grain i had for weeks but once the grain from Ashely ran out she just nosed the grain and finally she started to taste it and realized it was yummy. It took longer then I thought it should and I worried about her because she was young and all. THey wont starve themselves. The stomach rules eventually

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I would do just a little bit. A little, small sprinkle over the top. . . . it's a good sugar boost anyways. But I totally agree with Stacey that her stomach will rule out in the end. :) It's only been a day in her new home, so it may take her some more time.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
You may not like this idea ... but cut down on the hay she is getting. She needs to get hungry, then she will eat the alfalfa pellets and grain. As it is, she is being picky with that so she just fills up on hay instead. Give her 1kg of hay - that is all she needs - and she will begin to eat the grain, once she is established on the grain you can increase to free choice hay.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts