Kadabra is sick. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    One of my does (Kadabra) is very sick. Off feed, lathargic, very high temp of 106.5 snotty nose, no rumen movement.

I gave her Vit. B fortified, Bovi Sera (immune booster) and Nutri drench. Anything else I should do???

Chelsey

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Re: Kadabra is very sick. Any ideas?

Here a goat with those symptoms and a fever would be started on antibiotics. I would them be getting temps on everyone else to make sure it isnt something starting herd wide.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Oh I forgot I did give her some antibiotics. I am just stressed out today I am not thinking straight. She is up and eating now so she is looking better. My dad is leaving for Texas in a few minutes so I have been busy getting everything ready for him to go..

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Oh and I took temps of several other goats to make sure the thermometor wasn't broken and they all came back at 102.5 - 103 so well within the normal range.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If you have any banamine that will take her temp down. Probios or yogurt will help with her rumen. I would also give some baking soda.

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN

sounds like you have a handle on it. If the temp isnt down tonight I would try to give something to get it down. If you do not have banamine on hand what I used was asprine.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I took her temp again about an hour ago and she is down to 103.8 which is a relief. She also seems like she is feeling a bit better as well. She still isn't eating her grain but she is eating hay.

8. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007

I am so glad her temp is going down!!! GREAT JOB!!! :leap: I just wanted to mention that one dose of antibiotics may not have gotten all of the infection and, while her temp is down now, the infection may grow and you may see a jump in her temp again. I would give her another dose of antibiotics 24-48 hrs later just to be sure you get every trace of infection.

Hope she continues to inprove for you!
    CJ

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Keep up with the B for a couple days, also give her Milk of magnesia + olive oil, that does WONDERS for sick goats.

Do you have Pulsatilla?

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Nope no Pulsatilla. I need to buy some MOM tomorrow...

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

Great job on the doe. I am so glad she is eating hay now!!! I know you are relieved