Kalahari Reds?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Boers4ever, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Is there any Kalahari Reds in the US? I really really want a couple but I can’t find them anywhere!! I know that they’re pretty knew goats in SA. Probably not any here but I just wanted to check.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I asked Langston University last year. And they said Not in USA..due to restrictions between the 2 countries.
    Its hard to tell the difference between Red Boer Goats..and Kalahari Reds.

CountyLineAcres likes this.

3. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    There are none, and I highly doubt the USA will allow importing anytime soon.

Boers, Kalahari Reds, and Savannas all have extremely similar origins. During the creation of the Boer breed, solid red Boers would split off to become Kalahari Reds, and solid white Boers would be deemed Savannas. That’s why they look so similar.

There is a registry trying to create its own Kalahari Reds using solid red Boers. That’s the closest you will get.

4. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Awe man! I thought so but I wanted to make sure. I found a breeder in Australia that ships to the US. But probably veeeeerrryy expensive. Sad!! They are awesome goats!

5. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Moers kiko boars and Boers4ever like this.
  6. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Thank you. Its a pretty big deal to buy from Australia. Looks like I’ll just have to stick with colored Boers!

7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Good grief! If humans had had those types of restrictions, Covid 19, and many other diseases would never have made it into the states! LOLOL

happybleats and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    You are very right!! Lol!! Now I’m just gonna be lovesick for a Kalahari red goat for the rest of my life.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

They are common here in our desert region. What is scarce here is Nigerian dwarf. The boer goats here are kept in our more tropical side.

10. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Kalahari Reds are common here, but seriously expensive. What is rare is Boer but when found costs and arm and leg.

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Goataddict. That is true here too. Boers are expensive here too.

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Agreed that there are no true Kahlahari Reds here, and honestly you could probably just put the red Boer goats in that category anyway. If you want to raise Reds, then seek them out, plenty of nice red's out there.

It's funny because the summer heat and humidity our goats look their worst. When our temps went up to 90F with humidity that made it feel like over 100F, some went off feed or majorly decreased, our adult does stopped wanting to graze (bugs are bad too and bother them a lot so that doesn't help), and now we're in prime parasite season. While I've had a couple with random high worm egg counts, the most surprising thing is an increase in cocci in adults! Something you seldom see. Our preferred cocci medication, Dimethox has been on back order, so we've had to resort to treating the herd with CoRid (although I have some Dimethox for the young kids...CoRid makes me nervous on youngsters). I've heard that parasites like stomach/intestinal worms are not as bad in South Africa? If that is true then that is awesome. It's your worst nightmare in the US :(

That's really interesting! They are very popular here in the US, although they vary in size, color, shape. You have your bottom dollar/poor quality Boers, middle market, higher breeding and/or show market and then the big dollar show animals.
    We stay in the middle market. We don't have huge, fancy, big footed does, but they have held their own over the years as my kids have shown.
    There are usually lots of registered breeding stock sales throughout the US, and lots of Facebook groups where you can find them too.
    We're currently downsizing a bit, and hoping end of the year or early next year to buy my daughter a couple of higher quality show does as she would like to show a little more in the bigger ABGA shows especially if the virus messes things up next summer with the county fair shows.

13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Allot of the African breed of goats come from our arid desert regions. Africa has more brush than lush tropical. Here the goats are hardy. Our boer goats are predominantly meat goats. Our sheep are just as hardy. Parasites do pop up but we dont have that too much. What is annoying is the skin parasites and ring worm.
    We dont have a registered body for show goats here so our shows are generally farm based and auctions. Farmers are not too bothered with conformation.
    We love our goats. You must also bear in mind, allot of farmers wealth is equated in livestock. Many farmers use livedtock as bargaining for marriage or are slaughtered for weddings and funerals etc.
    Personally, my rescues never end on some ones plate. I always find a good new home. My springbuck are bred to assist our nature reserves and the fellow deer are now retired out of breeding.
    Subsistance farmers here are small scale and survive that way.

Moers kiko boars and Goataddict like this.
  14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Goataddict, i have been asking around, but nothing is crossing borders without permits. But I do know that you can order feed online and it is then couriered with permit. You may find the feed is kept in wuarentine for 7 days before delivery. Try ordering online?

Moers kiko boars and Goataddict like this.
  15. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I hope you get her the higher breed Boers.

16. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Yep that is right over here as well.

17. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Thanks for trying anyways. Thanks I haven't tried that but I will. Thanks again @Tanya.

18. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    I love my Boers. I raise dapples but this year my FF had a pure red doe. I absolutely love her color and personality and that is what brought me to Kalahari reds. I am looking for some more does for next year and I saw a red boer doe I’m gonna look into.
    I’m also in the middle class. My goats show pretty well and don’t look half bad. I am currently fighting a worm infestation right now. I nearly lost a doe kid this week but I was able to get her to the vet for a blood transfusion just in time. Now I’m having to disinfect my entire pen and treat my whole herd based on their fecals. One of them magically didn’t have any worms though so I’m happy about that (her baby is the red doeling).