The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been 14 days and still cannot figure out what got her...........not worms, not anemic just does not gain weight so maybe hypothermia , she ended up being septic, meds in IV every two hours for ten days, now off everything. have given her probiotics and thiamine as her gums ae rather pale, She loves to eat and her poop is great ...she is definitely a house goat. She is now 12.7 lb so maybe it will just take her longer to gain weight.........anyone have any suggestions?
She gets carrot cut up, apple, alfalfa cubes soaked n warm water, with hay extender, every other day goat drench in the food, lots of fresh hay and water, have been putting electrolytes in it

· Super Moderator
36,680 Posts
I would go slow on the apples...they are high in sugar but it sounds like she is on the mend..poor little gal has been through it!! Sometimes we never know what made the goat ill..we just throw everything and the kitchen sink at them and they are better...and greatful they did...good job with her!!

· Registered
7,663 Posts
You might want to try a grower pellets or calf manna for weight gain. It's good to hear she is off her IV. If her gums and eyelids are pale that usually indicates anemia. You said in your post no worms, how do you know this? Did you have a fecal done? Something causes the anemia, so that is why I automatically think worms/parasites. However, red blood cell, vitamin b 12 and possibly thiamine too. I'm not an expert but hopefully someone who is will chime in. I'm glad she's better though:)

· Registered
3,790 Posts
I understand you want this goat to gain weight, but you shouldn't be in a hurry about it. Over feeding can cause it's own set of problems. If your goat remains healthy and you get it's management lined out, I assure you she will gain weight and grow. It's on mother nature's time table though. You can't short cut it. Stay with your decent hay add a small amount of a feed made for goats and a decent loose mineral made for goats. I understand she may need the supportive therapy you are giving her right now because she was seriously ill, but ideally you can step away from that as she regains her own natural balance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.