The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday she acted like she was cold, her temp was extremely low........got her under a heat lamp and a ski sweater,,,,,,,,did all the things I thought I should have done, this morning I gave her some goat drench as she still was not her perky self............an hour later she had a seizure. Thank goodness the vet is ten minutes away but unfortunately he was on his wat to another emergency. He turned back to help her.
She is now on an iv drip at home, naxel and a couple other meds. He suggested she stat eating alfalfa pellets and hay extender. I had always thought that alfalfa was too rich, and that the extender was for horses...........One is never too old to learn,
Not sure why this is happening, it may be something as to her being one of five kids. She also has very little fat on her.
I wish to thank all of you for many suggestions with her and hope tomorrow is a better day for her

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
Is this the 8 month old that is only 11 lbs? She may have more going on internally. Being one of 5 isn't the problem. But it sounds like she had some lack of nutrients in the womb for some reason. I hope she does ok for you. I would also just have her living in the house with you. There is no way she can take the colder outside.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes she is now in the house for good. Her little roomie too. Just need to keep them separated till it is time to take the shunt out of her neck. Neither one is very please with the arrangement.
She has eaten the alfalfa and the hay extender. Amazing stuff..........and smells so good.
Every two hours I hitch her to the iv bag and count 320 drops. Getting difficult this time of night.
We will make it............that is why her name is Kandu, she can do all the stuff the big goats do.
Thank you for your kind words

1 - 7 of 7 Posts