Karma kidded a doe!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Perfect7, May 24, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I guess maybe it's time for the Karma thread, now that we are done with our CL scare and I can focus on a pleasant event with her! According to the ultrasound she had five weeks ago, she was 6-9 weeks prego with a single kid. BUT the vet said their ultrasound can't measure the skull for an exact gestational age and it was possible there was more than one kid hiding. That she was even pregnant was a surprise to us (and the previous owner), so based only on the ultrasound she is about 77-91 days prego. I hope it's not too early to start a thread for her, but was hoping all of the experienced goat fanatics out there might want to guess how far along and how many. I keep thinking :kidblue: :kidred: :kidred: Hey,if I'm going to dream....AND, I got to feel the kid(s) kicking tonight! That was great!
    But here she is, getting a bit poofy and nowhere near bagged up yet. So, what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: Karma's kidding thread (Due July 17-Aug 7)

im gonna say twins.. depending on the buck and the size he throws she could have some big old kids.. i remember one doe i had looked ginormous! i'd swore she's have trips, but then when the day came just one 11 pound buck

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Oh my! 11 lbs?! Can goats have an episiotomy? I would be thrilled with just one buck (she came from a boer goat breeder per the guy selling her for his brother) so the baby would purebred. Her poll smells "bucky" (or like a mild stale body odor) so if what's been posted on here is true we may get our wish. :greengrin: By the kicking I felt tonight, the baby feels about the size of a yorkie right now.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Oh I love the boers..... :love: she may have twins or trips.... I had one boer .....that was huge like that ....she gave to me a single baby....when she usually had twins.... :scratch: ....so... I had to go in and actually make sure .....there wasn't any more....and nope.... there wasn't ...so they can fool ya..... :wink:

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

I just don't think Karma's going to wait until the end of July for these babies. I was just outside with the goaties (my typical night routine, scratching and feeding snacks) and her belly has REALLY dropped low since evening feeding. Her sides have sunk in badly in front of her hips and I could see her spine, like she caved in and dropped. (Like there might be 6 inches between my hands if I put them in the place where she caved in). I noticed yesterday her tailbone looked very prominent and I can almost get my fingers all the way around, but thought it was just me. Five days ago she was looking good, now it looks like she's half starved again with a low-riding bongo drum belly. (Eating 2 cups of grain twice a day plus 24/7 pasture). She also urinates a lot, walks five feet, then stops and urinates again. (Poor girl, I remember those days). Is this typical of a doe getting close or do they cave in/drop two months before kidding? :shrug:

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I noticed our girls looked caved in a couple of weeks ago. I was actually worried that something was wrong with them LOL One is a lot bigger than the other as far as preggo belly goes, but to me they both look like what you are describing.
    I was told our girls are due in July, BUT, the date bred on the papers say Jan 15th, I know she didn't have an actual date, but I'm hoping it's accurate and they go around mid June.

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

That would be nice if we go together! The person we bought our girl from didn't even know she was prego. :shocked: So we have no due date, either. The vet saw a single kid and said more could be hiding, but based upon the one she saw the thought "maybe" she was 6-9 ish weeks along. :scratch: When we took her down for the CL testing the same vet said "Oh! She looks like she's going to pop any day now!" :shrug:
    When she lays down she looks just BIG. :laugh: I'm taking plenty of pics so I can compare with next time she is prego, but we'll definitely have a proper due date the next time. If your girls have been dropped like this for two weeks, I guess we have at least that long. I'm just not sure how much more she can stretch!

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Now I get to post posty, I think it's posty. Either that, or her leg fell asleep from laying on it with all of that weight. It's midnight snack time for my girls and Karma was walking in with both legs stiff in the back, seemed to be favoring the right a little more than the left. She took off trotting and it almost seemed she was running with splints on both of her back legs. :laugh: She was running like a Tennessee Walker. Her bag has also filled much more since yesterday. I can only see a slight difference but the difference to feel is much more, it's heavy. Her udder is definitely filling now. :clap: She also turned and nibbled at both of her sides a couple times each, no talking but nibbling at them. Vulva also looks slightly more open even while standing. Oh, and she's also keeping her tail down and cocked over to the right side. Also, her the hollow around her tail is much more pronounced tonight. No imminent labor, but seeing all of these signs is really nice for me to learn. :leap: I might become a goat rancher yet.....

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Exciting! Sounds like she doesn't have too much longer to go now! I took pics of the girls on the 20th, 25th, and then the 30th - only because I was out getting pics anyway. And from the 25th to the 30th I can definitely tell that one of the girls is filling out more.
    It's exciting, but frustrating not knowing 'when'! Having a date to work around would be great. Especially since I worry about everything under the sun LOL

10. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

I hear you about the due date. It's frustrating to not know, especially with the time frame we were giving of a range of three weeks. I don't think she's going to go that long, but I've been wrong before. Here is a picture I took of her udder and stance from tonight, as compared to what it was a week ago (already posted). She doesn't have a strutted udder, but I think I read that all boers don't get a huge strutted udder like a dairy breed? IDK. :shrug:

Attached Files:

11. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I still think she has a bit. Her udder should get fuller.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

i'll say 2-3 weeks...lol, i know it's torture.

but her udder will get huge.
    hope she has an uneventful delivery.

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Thank you! I just get all excited seeing all of the changes, and worried. I've been lucky to be there for the arrival of horse and dog babies, and sure don't want to miss this first goat delivery on our land.

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I've never been there for deliveries before, never had an animal pregnant before! But I am with you on not wanting to miss the first goat delivery! I am sooo excited! Nervous too! I am a stay at home mom, don't have any jobs to do until mid July, so with being here I can hopefully at least catch one of the girls delivering.

15. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

I've been keeping a vigilant watch and am self-employed so I can take off when the big day arrives. I'm convinced Karma is now playing head games with me. :laugh: Last night she decided to not sleep in the goat shelter and, instead, sleep closer to the house in the corral where we feed them. Definite first. Since she slept there, so did everybody else (she's the Queen, after all). So I had to go out and check their shelter. Nice and dry, no bugs, nothing. No dogs barking in the distance. But she preferred to sleep out on the damp ground from our rain yesterday afternoon. :chin: Then she was rubbing her head all over me for about ten minutes. She went from cranky to over-affectionate, and was even rubbing her head all over my daughter whom she usually ignores. Just slightly more bagging up, no discharge. I think she just likes me peeking out the front door once an hour to stare at her. :roll:
    I sure hope there is more than one because the one I felt kicking in there today feels like monster!

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

No labor but just an update. Where Karma's sides had become hollow from dropping, they have now been filled in with baby(s) on both sides. She's why they wrote the song "deep and wide". Her belly just rolls around now and I can see body parts that come up poking out by her spine. When the babies move and she's standing, her whole back end rocks. Oh how I pray for more than one! Now when she squats to urinate her teats touch the ground. :laugh: Still not a full strutted utter but definitely bigger than before and getting a more rounded appearance from the back.
    She's still walking "posty" on her right hind leg (or what I THOUGHT was posty) She's actually favoring it. Poor girl consistently lays down on her right hind leg and I think she's putting it to sleep. Must be like sleeping with a slab of concrete on her leg. She looks beyond ginormous and she's getting cranky. She's damp from sweating most of the time with this heat we've had (95 plus degrees). Tonight she didn't eat as quickly at dinner, usually the hoover. She wont come out for night snacks anymore because it's too hard to get up once she's down. She will even poo laying down rather than heave herself up to standing. When she lays down her vulva opens up and it looks like her whole pooch area poofs way out away from her body. She's been stretching a lot today, no discharge. Looking at her makes me miserable for her! Looks like she ate one of my horses. She's a queen size waterbed. :p

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

LOL loved your update, poor girl sounds like an anchor! She doesn't sound like she'll be waiting until July!
    I feel bad for our girls too, especially when it's hot, they look so miserable. Thankfully we've had a break from the heat the last few days, or at least the humidity, but it'll be back with a vengance this weekend when we see our first temps in the 90's.... I am not looking forward to the heat!

I just watched some goat births on youtube, and I wanna cry for those girls LOL

18. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Well, tonight it's a *maybe*. Karma is laying down and appears to be having some contractions. Her entire left side will tighten up hard and she will sit up during those times by getting up on her front legs (back stays down). The right side tightens as well, but not as much as the left. I would have expected the opposite since the rumen is on the left? She is also passing a small amount of white stringy discharge. There was none on the bedding, just noticed it when she raised her tail and it stretched from her vulva to her tail. Now that I FINALLY learned to feel those darn ligaments, hers are soft and pliable but still there on both sides. She still hasn't bagged up huge like the pics I've seen of strutted udders I've seen here.
    I can stay inside, though. I bought one of those $100 video/audio baby monitors from Toysrus tonight. It's awesome! I'm 250 feet from the goat shelter in my bedroom and I'm getting excellent sound/video in the dark (it has night vision 4-6 feet but I'm seeing her very clear 10 feet from the camera). Well worth the money, or I'd be sitting out there with her. I had lots of pre-labor with my kiddos so not getting too excited. Just watching. We could still have a month to go.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

A cam is AWESOME!!! I love mine and since I kid in late winter it sure saved me a froze butt!
    She sounds as if theres at least 3 in there and the lameness you see is likely a kid on a nerve, had that happen with a doe a few years ago.

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Liz, when they are in labor do they stand up with a slightly arched back holding their tail straight out behind them like a pole? She stood, stretched, then stood there five minutes with her tail sticking straight out behind her. She's up down, up down every couple minutes with that arched back going on. I got several pictures, will shrink and upload a couple. And yes, I'm loving this camera! Works great for a cheapee.
    And triplets would be a blessing. If it's a single, it may be a calf.

Attached Files: