Karma kidded a doe!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Perfect7, May 24, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Re: Karma's kidding thread (Due July 17-Aug 7)

Sounds to me like she must be getting close, but I have much to learn myself :) I will say this, she looks huge! I'd say more than one baby, or your right about a calf LOL
    I'd LOVE to have a video camera! Eventually one day I will invest in one! What kind/where did you get yours?

2. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

The brand is Summer and it's the day and night baby video monitor. It comes with a tiny 5" screen tv, black and white. Works really, really well and having the sound with it is great. Oh, I got it at our local Toys R Us. Later you can even add a second camera and it will switch back and forth every 8 seconds between the two. Dh likes it because I'm not making him go out with me every half hour until I go to sleep to check on her. Never got one for my kids, but have one for the goats. :laugh:

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

LOL Thanks for the info! You know, I just realized I STILL have my daughters baby monitor! I thought I gave it away, but nope. I didn't use it very much, and not sure how good the reception would be between the goat shed and my bedroom, but I'll have to get some batteries and test it out! I'd MUCH rather have video though, so eventually I will have to invest in it. Especially when we start getting all our girls bred, I worry about being there for our 2 does now, I couldn't imagine what it would be like if all 5 get pregnant LOL

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Well, I stayed up with Karma until about 4 AM, uhg! She would have irregular contractions (pretty mild) and was up and down, up and down, pawing, stretching over and over. It was neat that I could actually see her belly tightening up because it would lump into a tight ball before she would stand and stretch, or just lift herself with her front legs up sitting and arch her back. But, it stopped. She had been doing that from about 9:00 ish until around 4:00. Braxton Hicks for goats? :shrug:
    I'll have no hair left before it's over with. :hair: To me it's funny because I know after a complete kidding season I wont even post until the kids are on the ground, but the first one is torture. Her bag now feels heavy, but still not strutted. The biggest change with that has been over the last week. Here's a pic of her new and improved udder. And thank you all for tolerating me with my newbie excitement. Nobody in the "real world" want to hear me go on and on about my prego goat who may or may not be in labor and who may or may not even be due this month. Maybe there should be a seperate section titled "Newbie rantings, please ignore". :laugh:

Attached Files:

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Hope you have good kidding!

How much was your baby monitors? And how far was their reach from the barn to the house? Our barn is about 200 or so feet from the house and down a hill. Having the double camera that switches would be awesome because we will have two kidding stalls. :p

When we had boers, weve had HUGE triplets. One set had a 9lb, 10lb, and an 11lb! All boys. Then one year a saanen doe we had was bred to a boer and she had an 18LB! She had problems getting HER out! She died for a moment and was blue, but we brought her back to life and her name was Butterfly. She was a hugemongous baby.

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

It was $99.99. The pamplet says it has a range of 350 feet and the video is clearest when it's within 30-60 feet from the receiver. But, we are about 250 feet from the shelter and our reception is great! Of course, it's all flat. Not sure if that would make a big difference?
    It also says that the night vision works best if 4-6 feet from the "baby", but our doe was at the far wall about 10 feet away from the night vision and she was crystal clear on the monitor. The shelter was pitch black inside. I've only had the bad reception if I move the monitor too close to a stud in the wall, probably where electrical lines are running. And yeah, we're in the middle of building a 2-stall birthing shelter so that would be ideal. Not sure what the spare camera runs.
    Holy goat! Those were some big babies! Triplets would be nice, but those are all big enough for single kids! 18 lbs? I can't even imagine trying to deliver that. If they come out with horns already I'm running! :)

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Just returned from checking on my girl for the night. She has a four inch string of clearish white goob hanging with a ball of yellowish goob at the end. Also not feeling any ligaments tonight at all and can just about touch my fingers together around her tailhead! What seperates my fingers feels like nothing but silly puddy and her tail like gumby! :dance:
    Her udder has also increased quite a bit in the last two days, taking on a rounded appearance in the back. Not strutted yet, but heavy.
    I sure hope she pops soon for her sake. It was 99 degrees today, very humid, and she was panting rapidly with her mouth hanging wide open in the shade. Hosed her down and it stopped, then dh got a utility fan put up by the ceiling in the goat shelter. She stayed there for the rest of the day! Poor girl. I will never do summer kiddings down here! And we haven't even hit our hottest months yet. I'm thinking another week tops, which would make me win the bed. DH, the kiddos, and I all picked "due dates". The winner gets to name the baby (if single) or baby of their choice if multiples. Don't want my youngest to win or we'll end up with "hotdog mustard" or something. :pray:
    *bet, not bed. :laugh: I need sleep.

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Wow sounds like she is making good progress! If she has that much mucus coming out then I'd watch her real close, especially if your not feeling her ligs!
    And I am with you on the heat, we've only been up in the mid to upper 80s, but the humidity has been high, and our girls have been miserable. Their coats are filthy after a day of sweating and laying in a muddy spot where it's cool.
    How did Karma handle being hosed down? I thought about hosing down our girls, but wasn't sure if they would freak out too badly.

We haven't done the bet thing, but have done a few guesses on who would go first. Originally I thought Sweetheart would go first. Then I started thinking Snow White would go first. Now, I think they might go at the same time....LOL

And on the name thing, I most definitely understand! My oldest daughter calls our doe, Trouble --- Trouble wouble....LOL But then my husband wanted to name our buckling 'red head,' LOL!!! I asked him if he wanted everyone to think our lil boy was girlie? because Red Head sounds sooo......girlie...haha.

9. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

She doesn't seem to be in labor other than what I wrote, and actualy looks pretty comfy right now but I think I'll brew a pot of coffee just in case. She was also been "hugging" her sides with her head, kinda cute. Gonna keep an eye on her. What I saw looked like the pics of streaming, but instead of being thick like a regular drinking straw hers looked more the thickness of a coffee stir. From the videos I watched on youtube, I think the noise would wake me up if I go to sleep. Not too optimistic with our false starts lately. :p
    I've given her three baths in the hose since I've had her and the first time she was pulling at the lead trying to get away, but not too bad. Now she trusts me more and today she actually seemed to appreciate the cool water. I was able to do it alone, whereas before I had to have a helper. Haven't tried that with the other knuckle heads yet.
    Oh, I also sent you a PM earlier!
    And my gelding just started in with his gas. Wonderful!! :angry:

10. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

I wonder if the goats would like a kiddie pool? I know people use them alot with their dogs at trials

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Answering your question a few posts back...when they contract, you'll see them hunch a little but the tail is up and over the back and they suck that pooch in as far as they can....really wierd to see :greengrin:

Going by the pics, she's adjusting for the kids and seeing her udder...even though she's not a dairy girl, I'd have to say she's gonna make you wait til her due date of 7/15 at least....that udder needs to fill. The discharge is likely the plug and some does lose that anywhere from the day they deliver up to 6 weeks before.

I have a GE security camera, wireless , color, sound and night vision...the setup is from Walmart..came with one camera annd the reciever for $85....I got a second cam for $30 and it works great...range is up to 200 feet but I found it works the best at 150ft so the TV is on next to the puter cause when theres baby's coming theres no way I can sleep anyhow! I still use my old stand by baby moniter when I do go to bed...I turn it on so I can hear if theres any change in breathing or if the mom to be cries out.

Get some sleep....at least while you can and I do think she's got a big boy and 2 little girls in there!

12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Thank you Liz, and I sure hope you are right about the little boy and two girls! Of course, I'd be thrilled with anything. I'm up watching her tonight, and probably should have uploaded recent udder pics. She's bagged up more and today nipples were more engorged and facing more outward. She's up down, up down stretching again tonight and just started making sounds like a cow moaning loudly. I looked at the monitor and dh ran in the room. :laugh: Haven't heard those before (only did it twice), but she's not pushing or anything on the monitor. I sure hope you are wrong about July 15th, though (you probably aren't). It's been nearly 100 degres every day and only getting hotter as we go.
    Zoomom, it would be great if they would go into a kiddie pool without me carrying them but not sure if they would. My dogs love theirs!

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Well, my "moaning cow" was our new doe highly upset in isolation. All night. Between her and the gassy horses I now have bags under my eyes. Don't know if I will detect Karma breathing differently. She already hyperventilates, pauses, grunts, moans all night. Poor walrus. Lots of discharge last night with dirt now caked on her rump and legs. No kids, no ligaments, no sleep. Horses and dogs play by the rules. She will definitely be handbred in the future or I'll be a basket case (ok, or a worse one).

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

OMG sounds like a night time animal soap opera over at your place! I hope you can manage some rest!
    Hopefully things will calm down before she kids! I hope the same thing here, with Itham and her recent diarrhea, to the hoof rot/hoof scald on a couple of the goats. Whew....

BTW, I realized you sent me a PM and I will PM you back in a short bit!

15. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

How is Karma doing? I wanna see some pictures of your whale or I mean goat.

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Roger, she's still just gargantuous! The baby(s) don't even kick anymore but sometimes I will see that gigantic ball where the rumen is supposed to be literally roll from front to back. It seems to be living on her left side instead of the right. Miss Orca has to heave about three times to get herself to a standing position. She wont even get up half the time to poop anymore once she's laying down from eating.
    She snores, grunts, groans, waddles, and sucks down more food than the rest of the herd combined (while snorting, I might add). I'm positive she was having contractions about a week ago, but nothing since.
    Tomorrow I will get more pictures of her, but will have to get back about 50 feet to get her whole body in there. If she goes until mid-July I imagine she'll look like a bloated tick with little remnants of what were her legs just sticking out the side of her body.
    The only potential sire at this point was a big red boer buck (in a pasture with him since December), so it should be a pretty baby (or elephant).

17. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I can't wait to see them.......With how big she sounds I really hope there are more then one in there.....Hopefully you get kids soon.

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

LOL poor Karma! Well hopefully it won't be too much longer for her! And I agree, I hope she has more than one kid in there! Oh the suspense our ladies bring to the table LOL

19. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

The funniest part is watching her stand on her hind left leg while she takes her right hind leg and kind of kicks her udder to the side before laying down so it doesn't get squished! I couldn't get pics today. We have a hellacious storm blowing through and it's nasty. If she picks tonight I'm going to scream! (Not likely, but I'd have to avoid lightning bolts to make it out to her).

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Re: Karma's kidding thread (New Udder Pics)

Okay, it's still raining and storming so I had to take inside pics tonight. Here are a couple new ones of her udder. I guess she's getting "strutted" if that means the hair area above the teats looks more bald and shiny. They also now have a pink tint instead of black like before. The changes are exciting, but not holding my breath. :wink:
    Also, to me it doesn't seem like her sides feel as large as before to either she's dropped again or the babies have disappeared. I couldn't feel them kicking at all this evening. But, here are the new and improved udder pics! I don't think she'll ever have a nice, big udder like a dairy breed.

Attached Files: