Katia kidded ... sad outcome

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by SouthernSky, Apr 13, 2008.

1. SouthernSky

SouthernSky New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Orangeburg,SC
    Katia kidded yesterday morning on day 142. I went out to feed the goats before getting ready to head to the show (to watch & p/u my new doe) & I saw Katia still laying in the barn. I went to check her & about the same time I got to her out came kid #1 - a doe; sadly she was stillborn. A few minutes later out came kid #2 - a buck; he was very small. Katia wanted nothing to do with him, she didn't even clean him. I cleaned him up, brought him in the house & bottle fed him. He was doing good after his meal so I went & got ready. I put him in a crate in the kitchen, left bottle & the new baby with my husband to take care of for a few hours. I got to the show, watched a few classes, loaded my new doe up, & headed for home as the new little one was on my mind. I got home & snuggled with him most of the day since it was rainy here. He was doing good until about midnight, then he wouldn't eat anymore & he couldn't even stand up all the way anymore. He could get his rear end up off the ground but not the front. I tried to feed him with a dropper, but he didn't want it. He finally gave up his fight & joined his sister in heaven about 3 AM. I cried & cried as I held him in those last few moments, I could tell he was almost gone. I will miss the liitle man & I hope he's in a better place now.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my I am so sorry! :tears: :hug: I wish my words could help you

3. strothergoats

strothergoats New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Louisiana
    Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Just went thru this with a doeling of ours..my heart aches for you.

Lori

4. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I'm very sorry for your losses. If I had a way of making this better, know it would be done in a heartbeat.

:rose:

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Please remember that he was well loved while he was here and that's what we all hope for. :grouphug: It has to hard to lose them like that. Sorry for your lose.

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I am so sorry that you lost both of them. I'm so thankful that the little guy had you to love and hold him for those few, precious hours. That would have been really, really hard but I think helpful knowing he didn't die alone in the barn.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That is so sad- You have my sympathies- You certainly gave him comfort during his short time here.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry also. It is so hard, not matter how long the lord lets us have those little ones, we so fall in love with them so fast. You did your best and you have him the love that he needed, and now he is with his sister. God Bless.

9. SouthernSky

SouthernSky New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Orangeburg,SC
    Thank you everyone. Katia is doing good though, I milked her today & frooze her colostrum so we could have some on hand if needed in the future. So far our kidding season has been a pretty sad one & I hope that it gets better, we have a break now until June/July.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how much it hurts, but he is in a better place now :hug: :tears:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry :hug: ...you did your best with the little guy.