Katie Kidded on Easter Morning.... Help Needed...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by CarolinaGirlzminigoats, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

Katie my Pygmy Doe kidded on Easter Morning. She blessed us with a handsome buckling. I was a bit worried at first and I am still watching him closely due to his breathing. At times he will pant like a dog for a few seconds. I kept him indoors last night so I could watch him and keep him warm.

Katie does not like the idea of being a full time Mommy. She was being very mean to him at first. Butting him and running away when he would try to nurse. I didn't want her to hurt him so I took him away but this morning I took him out to her and she is doing better with him. She isn't trying to hurt him as matter of fact she loves to clean him. He will be the cleanest baby in the world BUT she still refuses to let him nurse. She walks in circles or away when he latches on. Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions on how to help her learn that she not only needs to keep him clean but she needs to feed him too.

The funny thing is I had three does to kid and I don't know any due dates. Well Coco Kidded on Valentines Day and Now Katie has kidded on Easter so I joke and tell everybody that April is holding out till the next Holiday...LOL...

I will post Pictures of him later. I gotta get the battery charged in the camera. I will need some ideas on names...

Thanks

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have had problems with first fresheners not wanting to stand for new kids. I usually work the plug out of their teat and milk it a little so they get the idea that the milk leaving their tight hard udder feels better. Then on a rare occasion I have to hold the doe by her collar to let the kid nurse. Usually they get the idea quickly. I've never had one not.

3. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    If she's not butting him now then leave the kid with her and she'll figure it out. If she's a first freshener then sometimes they don't like the feel of it. She'll probably accept him, if not you might have to bottle raise. Good luck let us know what happens.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations on your new baby. That is wonderful. What you have described is not totally uncommon. When their bag fulls up and is engorged, it is painful for them, so as a baby gets close they just know it is going to be painful, so like Goathaven said, you might have to hold her so the baby can nurse, and when he does and releases some of the pressure she hopefully will feel better, and they will be a happy family. You might have to milk just a little out to get the plug out and release some of the pressure so he can latch on.
    Good Luck, and we can not wait for the pictures.

5. Thanks Everyone...

I am leaving him out there with her and checking on them often to make sure she isn't being mean and trying to hurt him again. SO far she is doing well. I have milked her and held her to let him nurse some. I keep telling her that once he nurses and gets things flowing she will feel a lot better but she doesn't believe me yet. I am just happy that she is accepting him and is starting to bond with him instead of butting him and pinning him to the ground with her horns like yesterday. He couldn't get close to her without her going into defense mode. She butted him pretty hard and it scared me. I was afraid that she had hurt him because of his breathing. He seems to be doing better today. I haven't noticed any panting so far.

Again Thanks for the advice and as soon as my camera is fully charged I will get pics of him...

Take Care

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I do hope they bond and she starts bonding with him soon. Good luck! I don't like horns as horned goats seem meaner. They know they have them and use them. I worry to death about newborns though, being stepped on, layed on, etc. I give them hiding places with heat lamps to help the stay warm and protected. But I worry and worry.

I think they're doing much better if she's accepting him now. Maybe she'll slowly get the idea of being nursed too.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My FF did that too...to a lesser extent...I did as already suggested...milked a little to get the plug out and release a little pressure. She finally started to feed him and now he's the biggest baby so far. Congrats on your little guy. Can't wait to see pics.

8. Thanks Everyone But the Baby passed this evening. I had brought him back in while we went to Tractor Supply to get feed and some supplies. I noticed his breathing again and he would pant some and then breath normal. SO I think something was wrong internally and he lost the battle. I am so heart broken. He was so Handsome and he passed before my darn camera got charged so I didnt get to get any pictures of him. :sigh:

Its heart breaking to lose any of my babies but I was attached to him already so that makes it even harder. I feel guilty but he was fine all day and acted normal and was just full of life and bouncy so I was in total shock to come home and find him passed. :mecry:

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so sorry. You did everything right, and couldn't of done anything more. ((((((HUGS)))))) It is a horrible feeling, one of which I know all to well :(

10. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am so sorry. That might be why the mom was not really taking to the kid. In the 8 years I have raised goats that is usually the case. One of our quads I am bottling now I discovered was blind so I think that is why she pushed it away. Again I am sorry!

11. I know thats what the case is most of the time. It sure doesnt make it hurt any less. I feel so guilty because maybe I shouldnt have gave him back to her at all and just kept him inside and bottle fed him. I went out every thirty minutes today checking on them and she was fine with him. I just wanted to give her the chance to bond with him. I am pretty sure she didnt hurt him today she was cleaning him and loving on him but I cant be 100% sure of that because she was left alone with him. Tears have been flowing since I found him and I just wish this wouldnt have happened. I have had a tough year with kiddings. I am new at breeding and this is my first year and my first two kiddings were premature and then CoCo had her Baby and she is doing great and now I lose this little guy. I dont know if breeding if for me. I cant handle losing babies like this. I know I cant keep them all and will have to part with some of them but finding them a good home is alot different than one passing away.

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes Laura's right, if Katie was acting weird towards him she may have known something was wrong and she was doing what was natural to her. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. :hug:

I had Pot's first doeling with breathing problems and we took her to the vet and even after he did all that stuff to her she died in my arms. So don't beat yourself up about it. There was nothing you could have done to change this outcome. Just know he was loved and he felt that love in his time here. :grouphug:

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    We all have rough times, it will get better. I am so sorry this has all happened to you :hug:

If you ever need someone to talk to you can email me anytime, I love talking goats!

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    due to her rough handling him when first born, the chances of internal injury are great. I am sorry :hug: I do know the pain

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :hug: I'm so sorry for you, dear. It has to be tougher to lose them when they are a few days old, then if they are stillborn. I lost a doeling, but she was stillborn. I was a little surprised it didn't bother me more then it did. But, there isn't anything I could have done, so, it's done. But, to love them and then lose them...hard, hard, hard. You couldn't have done any better for him then you did. He was loved and isn't that enough? Yes. We are crying with you. Now, go play with a goatie.

16. Thanks Everyone for your words of sympathy. I am doing better today. Katie is doing ok. She has been looking for her baby and crying some. I am spending extra time with her and I know she will be fine in a few days.

17. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Darlene, don't beat yourself up over it. Kidding season has been hard on a lot of people this year. I am not quite sure why. We decided to retire this year and we did have our share of upsets. We lost 5 kids this year. That's more than we had in 7 years all put together. I have just decided to keep pets now. Don't give up if you really want to breed but it can have some sad and scary moments. I guess you just have to rejoice in the good moments. My vet tells me I was very lucky in all of those years to lose such few. He said a lot of things happen to babies during birth and pregnancy. He told me to count my blessings because he has seen it all! Hope things get better. Did the other goat you bought from me ever have any kids?

18. Laura,

No not yet. If she took this go around then she will be jue in late May to June. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we have better luck the rest of the year.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Man, I am so sorry. :hug: Yes it is so hard to lose them when you see them so full f life. I fall in love with them as soon as they are born and start to wobble around, it is just to hard no to. I agree wit DI, it is so much easier for me to see a still born baby because I never saw their personality. :grouphug: