The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temp is in the upper 30s and it's off-and-on misty wet. Do I keep the goats in the barn with plenty of hay or open the doors and let them out? My concern is they'll get wet enough to make them get too cold during night hours. Or shall I trust that they'll come back in the barn if the mist turns to heavier rain?

I just opened the barn doors and they ran out and started eating falling leaves. Light mist. 40 degrees now. Mid 30's tonight. Okay? Or bring 'em back in?

ETA: I have 2 ND's 9 months old

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Mine absolutely won't go out in the rain or even mist, unless they're starving and some thing is out there... If they don't seem to mind or seem cold, I wouldn't worry about it. Goats are pretty smart. ;)
Just make sure they have lots of hay to eat when it's cold, digesting the long-stem stuff helps keep them warm. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed mine won't go out in the rain either so was surprised when they went out in the light mist. I have a lot of fallen leaves in the barn yard that they are loving eating (fig, mulberry and trumpet vine) and that's exactly what they went for. They have lots of fresh sudan hay in the barn that they love but I guess they really wanted those leaves...LOL.

·
Rusty
186 Posts
The weather here in north Texas is horrible. Very cold out tonight and supposed to fall even colder and have an ice storm on the way. Mine were out of the barn some today, and we put them back in- of course, we just happen to be expecting kids any day now...so baby monitor and coffee pot will be both be on thruout the night:GAAH:

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Light snow, mist, and slow drizzle doesn't bother mine that much, but they will not set foot outside of their shelters when it's raining or snowing steady.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
LOL its really pretty entertaining to watch goats in off on rainy weather. When it first starts they RUN for the barn. It lightens up they head out to eat. If it get a little heavy again, it just takes one goat to start for the barn and they are all like RUN. Back and forth back and forth :) Just open up the doors, they will judge for themselves.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lol! Posted almost the same thing at the same time! :lol: :hi5:
LOL I was also just going to ask the same question!!! :snow: I am in Akron Ohio and it is REALLY snowing here, a really wet "Misty" snow and they are just out wondering around but getting wet! They don't seem to mind at all! I'm just worried they are going to get sick???
So I just have a reallt thick blanket over there door and that seems to get some of the snow off there backs as they go through the door.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Misty

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts