Keeping a mixed herd

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Zelda, May 11, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    I am considering trading one of my nice Saanen doelings to someone for one of their Boer wethers that they think will be too big to show in 4H. Apparently, they get DQ'd if the wether is over a certain weight by the Aug. weigh in, and they think he will likely be. He is about 80# now.

Anyway, could I keep the Boer in with my milking girls? Are there any issues I need to be aware of? I don't feed free choice grain or anything, so he'd mostly be eating straight alfalfa hay & having some browsing time.

In Fall, he'd get a one way ticket to Freezer Camp. The main downside is that he's really cute and laid back, and I think I might get attached to him. :( On the upside, I would have one less FF next year. I am REALLY not looking forward to having 3 FFs!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    At our county fair, if they weigh over a certain weight or under a certain weight, they can not sow. I think that is about slandered. I do not know the weights because I do not do market goats.

Sure you could keep him with your milking does. There is no problem mat all.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ......there is no reason .........you can't have him with your other goats...... :wink: :greengrin:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yea, shouldn't be a problem at all. :)

5. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    :shades: Cool, thanks! I was hoping there weren't any gotchas in terms of mixing breeds. Ooooh, I hope this trade works out!

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    remember he is a wether and pron to calculi, and if you are feeding a mostly alfalfa free choise that might cause an issue du to alfalfas high calcium content. other than that should be no probs.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    you should come and see my place :) chances are in the same paddock I could have angora, boer, red boer, saanen, british alpine and toggenburg and maybe even a couple sheep! :ROFL:

Yes, I have a liquorice allsorts herd!

8. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    I wanted to get a Churro (Navajo sheep), but I thought it would get picked on.

Maybe next year I can get a pair of Churros to go with my Snubians & Snuboers. Too bad I can't cross Churros and Snubians for Cherubians. :ROFL: That would be cool! :shades:

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    We have several different breeds living together with out a problem. I say go for it!

Deidre