The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I was wondering if you could keep goats, sheep, chickens, like two cats, and like two rabbits in the same barn and in the same...well you could call it a huge run or a really small pasture...together? I'm going out to measure it today so I will post how much room it has and how many of each of the animals later this evening,

Thanks a ton!!!!

Logan

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Goats and sheep I wouldn't keep together personally. Goats need copper, sheep cannot have copper.
My goats and sheep run together. I copper bolus the goats every 3 months. I have 3 small pens, and 1 huge one in the barn. They all get separated at night, but my ober clan stays with the sheep. They all run out in the pasture together. I just have a sheep & goat loose mineral out in the pen with the sheep, then manna pro with all the rest. Chickens are housed in there coop, so can't help you with that.

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
My goats and sheep run together. I copper bolus the goats every 3 months. I have 3 small pens, and 1 huge one in the barn. They all get separated at night, but my ober clan stays with the sheep. They all run out in the pasture together. I just have a sheep & goat loose mineral out in the pen with the sheep, then manna pro with all the rest. Chickens are housed in there coop, so can't help you with that.
I have sheep too and keep them separate from my goats. They have different needs and are fed a bit differently as well. My sheep also have to stay on a diet, they get fat on anything. :laugh:

It would be a huge expense and inconvenience for me also to copper bolus instead of just leaving the goat minerals out. I have 100 or so does. I only copper bolus as needed. Getting copper regularly is also much better for them instead of getting one big dose at a time.

I also keep my chickens and my horses separate. The only thing that runs with the goats are a few llamas intended for guarding.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I have sheep too and keep them separate from my goats. They have different needs and are fed a bit differently as well. My sheep also have to stay on a diet, they get fat on anything. :laugh: It would be a huge expense and inconvenience for me also to copper bolus instead of just leaving the goat minerals out. I have 100 or so does. I only copper bolus as needed. Getting copper regularly is also much better for them instead of getting one big dose at a time. I also keep my chickens and my horses separate. The only thing that runs with the goats are a few llamas intended for guarding.
Well, you are on a much bigger scale then me that is for sure. I have to copper bolus with the manna pro minerals anyway. Also, if they do not chew the copper bolus it is time released, so it's also as needed. That would be very expensive for you to do with a hundred goat, I only have 9:) Totally understand the sheep needing to be on a diet, but I feed an Allstock feed, so it works for me:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.