The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had our first batch of kids with our buck and three does. I'm thinking it is best to keep the buck away from the girls so we don't have more kids too soon. But how soon is too soon? I've heard people only breeding their does once a year and others just let them run free together. If I do keep him away, how big of a space does he need and do the girls need to be out of his sight? Right now we have him in a small pen, but he can see the girls and just goes nuts! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh wow! You do have a problem! We have one buck that even though there is a pasture between him and the girls, he can climb a six foot fence when he wants to! He will hook his back hooves in the wire and launch himself over the top barbed wire! I can't keep him separated, so I make sure he always has some company. Your case may be different. A lot of it depends on the individual buck. Some can be calmed with a companion goat, others (like mine) only wants his ladies! It's best to keep them separated atleast until the babies are weaned....it kinda gives mom's body a chance to focus on one thing at a time. A lot depends on the breed of goat too. If you can contain him, give him a few days to settle down, then give him a companion if he still wont settle down. If all else fails, see if you can find a temporary home for him while the moms focus on raising a family. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts