Keeping goats in the city

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lisaurbanfarmer, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Lisaurbanfarmer

Lisaurbanfarmer New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    springhill fl
    :scratch: Is there anyone keeping goats in the city.I would like to hear about setups and space size,ect..as I am thinkin of getting 2 goats.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    check your zoning first... to see if ...you can have them and how many..... :wink:

I live in the country.... so I can't say.... for city setups....good luck...... :greengrin:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    First of Welcome to TGS!!

I'm pretty sure that you will need to check your towns rules regarding keeping livestock in your back yard.

With mini goats, a large dog kennel with a large box for shelter will do, and since they won't get the pleasure of browsing a pasture it is important to have a good quality hay available at all times for them. Training them to a leash and collar is easy and will allow you to walk them outside of your yard.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep..just check with your city and see if they allow goats.

Liz has a good point with the hay.

5. Lisaurbanfarmer

Lisaurbanfarmer New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    springhill fl
    I have a large privacy fenced yard and plan on planting forage,I would like some suggestions.I was thinking of blackberry and roses,I am putting in clover and chicory for the chickens and rabbits along with rye and buckwheat and oats. What else can I use for the goats?Maybe alfalfa?I have a large igloo dog kennel .I can have them but have to keep them on my space so need to make a playground of some sort,maybe a rock pile but what else? Thanks for any suggestions.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    anything you plant for goats unless it is fully established for years will be eaten down in a year or less and gone. Goats can be very destructive like that. Which is why they are very useful for brush clearing

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Welcome to TGS! :wave:

You're definitely going to want to make sure you have a place to store a few bales of hay as that will be their primary food source. You can plant all the ground cover (grasses, clover, etc) that you want but the goats might not utilize it. Goats typically don't do much grazing and you'll end up needing to mow down their "pasture" for them. Goats just do not like eating off the ground. They love rose bushes and blackberry bushes...but like Stacey said, those will be gone in a matter of days...and if there's any trees in the yard, those will be next. They will strip the bark off of trees and kill them before they even touch a blade a grass.

And yes, please make sure that your zoning regulations will allow you to keep goats. It would be heartbreaking to get attached to them and then be told you can't keep them. A privacy fence is nice...but goats make noise and if a nosy neighbor or paserby tattles on you and zoning prohibits livestock you'll be forced to give them up.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We have kept goats in the city for almost five years on a 100x100 lot. We have three does here now but have had a few more and babies, in the past.

Good fencing is a must, sounds like you have that.

Planting some pasture sounds like a good idea, we do that in our goats little "pasture" but wait until after the last frost.

Like someone else mentioned, have a place to store some bales of hay. It's no fun rushing around looking for good hay, when you are down to the last bale. Don't ask me how I know. :roll:

Rock pile would be a lot of fun for goats, they love climbing on things. . . We also have an old small set of stairs that someone was throwing away from their porch and wooden cable spools for climbing on.

Hope it works out for you to get goats! Sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into it and that is the best thing to do -- be well-prepared. :)

9. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Little goats love kids plastic climbimg toys! You can find them cheep at yard sales and intenet lists.

10. wookiee

wookiee New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Goats will destroy plants, but one thing you can do is put the plants in cages. Then as they grow outside the cage, the goats get a treat, but they are not allowed to destroy the plant by completely defoliating it. Not sure how sturdy the plant cage must be, but I would guess VERY STURDY. The same idea works for chickens, but obviously the fencing requirements are much smaller.

I plan on having an "greenbelt" along the side of the paddock where yummy plants are placed close to the fence, but outside of harm's way. You can't feed a goat entirely on this plan, but the green yard will look nice and they will get some nice variety in addition to hay and feed, if you choose to feed it. The plants form a visual barrier form neighbors as well, helps to hide the goat pen.

Good luck.

11. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm not actually "in" the city, but I am just outside of San Diego in a very suburban area (hence my herdname!) CHeck out my website; I do have some tips on keeping goats and what to do before you buy! I do that b/c a lot of city people call and ask if they can have goats. Fainting goats are pretty darn quiet, I've heard, so they may work well. I do have a preivacy fence -- no need for my neighbors to know everything I do :wink: -- but I am legally zoned for htese huys. Have fun!

12. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Denise, check out some Nigerian Dwarf goats as they give great tasting milk. If you just want pets, goats will need grazing space. The stereotypical goat yard that I see too often is no green, only dirt. When I leave my two small bucks in their portable pen for a week, they almost destroy dense stands of bermuda grass, not so much from eating but from their urine and trampling and some eating. If they don't have quite a large area (over half an acre or so, mine roam on about 5 acres) they will take it down to dirt pretty quick. Take the advice about fencing off anything that is green that you don't want destroyed.

So, if you are going to take the trouble to raise goats and keep a green space for them might as well have them pay some "rent" by giving you yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc. One Nigi doe will provide almost a quart a day and some of us only milk once a day. A nigi and a Fienting goat would work as well, as long as your goat is not alone.

13. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Ooops - post should be for Lisa, not Denise, who obviously has it all figured out!

Lots of people in Portland, Oregon keep goats. It is legal there.