The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have French and American Alpines and I am seriously considering adding a few Golden Guernsey does to my herd. I often hear how Alpines fight and bully more than other breeds, but I honestly have nothing to compare my girls to. They are young and they squabble, but they don't try to hurt each other. Golden Guernsey's are apparently significantly smaller than my Alpines, so I would like to know herd harmony is possible. Does anyone here have experience with herds of mixed sizes?

Also, I think I would eventually want to add a GG buck. Are there any success stories about keeping different sized buck together or should I just plan to keep them separate?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
They will hash out who is the boss and under boss(es). The best thing to do is to make sure there is lots of feeder spaces where one cant dominate the whole feeder and to make sure there arent any bottlenecks where a smaller doe can get pinned and beat up.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just built a new barn with a long feeder area, so we are covered on that front. Thanks for the advice. I don't want problems with aggression, but I really want to add the butterfat of GG's, since we make cheese.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
My first set of goats were all abandoned kids. I had a couple of Boers, a petite Nubian/Alpine/something small who stands at 2 1/2 feet now. I also had some Spanish bucks/wethers. Everyone was different ages (growing up) and different sizes. I sold the Spanish boys and just purchased 3 Nubians (2 older does and 1 emaciated 10 month old timid girl). I think my Boer doe (queen) is intimated by the taller Nubians. I am not sure who is the queen anymore. I may have 2. Anyway, at first I had 2 separate herds of goats but they are slowly blending together. They are clearly establishing who is the boss. My Boer doe use to try and hog both feed troughs, running between the two, but now she and one of the Nubians eat at one trough and the rest eat at the other trough. I agree with TDG-Farms-you must have several feed troughs when you have different size goats. My little emaciated girl gets chased away and so is not getting her share of snacks. But I take her into the milking stall when I milk my petite dairy doe and feed her an extra portion of grain.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like to cage new goats so everyone can see each other for a couple of days to a week. They get to know my schedule and the new sounds. They also get to see who the herd queen is and who is lowest. When it is time to introduce them I can see they (new goats) have a plan of action on where they want to run and from who.

·
1,524 Posts
I had a mixed herd of Nubians, Oberhasli and Alpines who co-habitated nicely with the Nigerian Dwarfs. The does were fine after figuring who was boss lady (the older Nigerian doe!).

The bucks, 2 Nigerians and an Oberhasli, never seemed to fight much. The 2 Nigerians butted heads with each other but not with the Obie.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's never how you think it will be...my herdqueen Nigerian is afraid of the new Nubian I brought home...who is also afraid of all the ND's...except the 5 month old kid ND she rode home wit hand has adopted. In the span of a week a 5 month old crybaby ND doeling has taken over and ALL my goats do her beckoning, including the 85 lb wether who bolts out of the barn when she cries demanding the hay feeder to herself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts