The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 huge fig trees in the barnyard where the goats are. I didnt mind them eating the lower leaves they could reach but now that winter is here, they are nipping off all the tiny geeen leaf buds meant for next years growth. I love my figs and am afraid this will kill off the lower part of the tree, if not the entire tree.

Suggestions on how to keep them away from the trees? A DIY hot pepper spray on the tree, buds theyre eating? Fence it off somehow?

·
208 Posts
I gave up on growing figs. Every time I let my girls out of their pen, they go right for the fig trees. Not possible to fence where they are. I'll start over next spring in another part of the property that I can fence off :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually have 3 fig trees in the barn yard. The smallest one I figure is a lost to them. I MAY try to fence it in. It would be easy enough. The other 2 are huge and I am surprised at the damage they are doing. Leaves were okay with me, but not next years growth buds. And I LOVE my figs. Would hate to see these trees die.

My hubby has said he will help me fence in the fig trees. I suggested to use chicken wire for ease but he's all for using our left over goat fencing, which actually will be better, more sturdy. Now to have the time to get it done....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts