Keeping goats safe when you don't live on site

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by comingsummers, Jul 14, 2010.

1. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Hello all, I am doing my first asking for advice post and I hope you guys can help me out... :help:
    Well, as I said in my intro post a while back, I put the cart before the horse and bought two goats without a place to keep them. The breeder and I agreed that she would keep them for me through October and then I would bring them home bred and ready to go. Well our weather has been super dry this summer and the breeder is very concerned about her pasture and would really like me to get my goats if I can. She isn't kicking them out by any means, but I can tell she's worried. I would also really like to get them here of course (I'm dying to start getting daily milk). We could easily get a place set up for them in the next week or two, that's not an issue. The problem is that we don't live on the property yet. We have a trailer down there, but we're running into some snags getting the utilities in. We will hopefully be moved in by October, but there is a chance it won't be until spring... :GAAH: In the mean time we are living about a half mile up the road from there, and someone from our family drives by our place probably 5-10 time a day. The issues are that the property is right by the road, so people could see the goats and no one around, and so might try to steal or hurt them. Also, there are alot of coyotes in the area. So, I guess my questions are: Is there any way they could be safe in this situation? What could I do to make them safe? What other options do you think I should concider?
    Thanks for reading this and for any input you might have. Have a great day! :leap:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh boy... that is tough....

Well ....a LGD would protect them.... but ...if there are to many coyote's ..... they will out number the 1 LGD....1 coyote will lead the dog away from the goats ...while another will grab a goat... :(

Or try to find another place... to move them... that someone can be with them..... all the time.... that is all I can suggest for you... I know it is not much help... :hug:

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hm...Is the land big enough for two LGD's? Will the goats have a shelter to go into at night? What kind of fence will you have?

Gina

4. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Well, we have two acres that border my in-laws 70 acres. They will have a shed to go into that I could close at night if you think that would be a good idea. The fencing is a sturdy welded/woven (cant remember which) wire fence that has been recommended to me by two other goat people in the area. I had thought of a LGD, but I dought that I could find an adult, trained one for sale, and even if I could I figure they would want an arm and a leg for it.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    If you are really interested in LGD's I'd recommend contacting www.bountifulfarm.com They are GP breeders but also take in and evaluate rescue dogs... VERY knowledgable people and always willing to give LGD advice. However an LGD is another added responsibilty.

If you are not yet ready for an LGD then I'd recommend having a kennel run set up as an indoor outdoor enclosure using your shed..... lock them up in the shed at night... let them into the run during the day and let them out to graze the pasture when you know you will be around to keep an eye on them. :) Coyotes are opportunists... they hunt during the day just as much as they would at night which is why I'd reccommend keeping them in a kennel run.... even stringing hotwire along the bottom about 6-8 inches off the ground would be a great idea.

This way you won't have to worry so much about what you are going to find when you go to check on them. :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... that is a great idea....it sounds so much safer for them.... :thumb:

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Like you we live 1/2 mile from our property. We have 21 acres where we have it fenced for horses, then goat pens inside of that. Unless it is the weekend we are only out there once a day, but we were able to get a LGD and will bring another one home this weekend. We also have a mini-hinney that hates dogs so that helps, and our neighbors keep a eye on the place and will call us if he sees something wrong.

I also think that locking yours up at night would not be a bad ideal and maybe even getting a guard donkey would not hurt either. You have to remember that it is just not wild animals that you have to protect them from but domesticated dogs as well, who will be roaming at all hours, day or night. A good guard donkey will take care of that, and I know in my area right now they are going cheap.

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Can you keep them at your in-laws temporaily? That would be my first thot. If the fencing is sturdy then it will help keep the coyotes out and the goats in. Definitely lock them up at night.

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    If you lock them up at night, make sure they don't get too hot. I'm in Alabama and it is sooo hot right now. I couldn't lock mine up without having some kind of fan or wire window's for a breeze.

Gina

10. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Thank you to everyone that has posted an idea! First off, I don't think we're ready to add a LGD to the mix yet, but maybe someday. I don't think coyotes will be much of a problem during the day as I've never actually seen one at that end of the property during daylight (mostly up on the backside where the in-laws live), but roaming dogs could be. My main concern for daylight was really people driving by, I'm afraid they may try to steel/hurt the girls. Any thoughts on detering human predators? I think that if I do bring them to the property I will be locking them in the shed at night and checking on them several times during the day when they're out. There is a neighbor close by that we could ask to watch out for them when he's home. I guess I'm just going to have to do some soul searching and decide if this feels like the best decision... Oh, Itchysmom, I unfortunately can't keep them with the inlaws, Mother-in-law is one of those poor misinformed goat haters. I hope to sway her in the future, but as it is they definitly couldn't stay there... Thanks again for the help and keep it coming!

11. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    You could always post a sign(s) that say that the property is under camera survalience. It might deter someone from going on the property.