The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had the problem that no matter how much fly spray I put on my horse the horse flies still attack her. It's a pain in the butt to ride seems how she's always kicking at the darn things. Could it be the fly spray we use? What fly spray do you use and how well does it keep away horse flies?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We use Absorbine Ultra Shield. It's worked for a long time seems how we've been using it forever

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
It might be too late in the season, depending on where you are located, but we use
"Fly Predators" from Spaulding Labs. They are tiny bugs that eat the horse fly larvae so they don't mature. You tell the company how many animals you have and they send you a shipment once a month. We sprinkle them on the manure pile and never have a problem. We've been using them for about 15 years now. With 12 horses, 9 goats, 30 chickens and 3 pigs, I have yet to see a horse fly on the farm. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
all great suggestions but horse flies and green heads aren't affected by fly predators and i've never found a spray that works against them

i bought a horsefly trap a few years ago and it helps
way overpriced
there are diagrams of how to build them online

killed a fly yesterday that was the size of my thumb

·
Registered
617 Posts
Permethrin is what my vet recommended ,just picked it up today from tsc,he says its am oil base and stays on longer than,the bronco sprays

1 - 11 of 11 Posts