The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have made the decision to keep my current herd, even the big girls... I was just told that it isn't wise to do hoof trims when they are in their last month if gestation. Well, Daisie is the one who is due and she's the one who hurt my arm. The suggestion for her was to do 1 hoof a day until I'm done... I did a hoof a few minutes ago, and let her go... No major issues, so I think I'll stick with that plan... I'm kinda excited and hopefully won't regret the decision, as I think they will throw darling kids:)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I was working with our buckling yesterday. I picked up his feet and held them like i was trimming them. I'm hoping that when he gets to be a big boy he wont mind his feet being worked on, or being extensively handled. This is the buckling that scratches at the door to come in and and watch tv, so he probably isnt going to be a problem anyway, but sometimes i think we dont spend as much time on our bucks as we should, and then when we have to do something to or with them it creates a problem. We have 3 other bucks and we do try to handle them regularly. I guess my point of this is dont forget your bucks as they are technically 1/2 the herd!!
I'm so glad you found a solution to your problem!! You will be happier to keep them and they will not have to go through the trauma of re-homing

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually my bucking was the easiest to do last week, he kicked a little bit, looked back at me.... And dug his nose in the grain, and that was that...:) I am going to have a routine going on Saturday's, each big girl I do one hoof, then 2 of my other goats/sheep and by the end of the month they are all done, and no one is stressed... This will take about 20-40 minutes a Saturday/Sunday depending on the boys (the biggest challenge with them is to get them on the stand, once that is accomplished piece of cake) I won't be getting any new additions until next season... well I did find some Alpine doelings, I just might have to have..

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alpines? Do tell!.... and show!:)
I'm currently waiting on pics and prices from her... If I see one I can't live without, and she tests for diseases then I will be taking a little trip to pick her up:) I have been looking for Alpines for quite awhile now, so if I find one that I positively can't live without... I'm getting her...:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts